Why are pet adoption fees so expensive?

I was thinking of adoping a pet from a shelter and i'm looking at the fees 270-600? WTH no wonder every shelter is over crowded with pets who can afford that...might as well get one right from the breeder!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pets

• We adopted our cat from our vet. They always had cats they would save before the animal shelter would put them down. All they asked for was a donation of $20 or more. They always got adopted. I think the animal shelter should really think about redoing their system to make it more affordable to get a pet.
    Anonymous

• i think cause most pets are spayed/fixed, whatever its called. those operations are expensive
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Most public shelters aren't that expensive. It's because they are generally subsidized by your tax dollars. Private shelters rely on the adoption fees to continue running. They often get discounts for vet services, but they still have to pay for examinations and any treatment that the animal requires. Also, private shelters generally don't get discounts on the food and care that is provided to the animals.

Also, if you can't afford the adoption fee-- how do you expect to afford to care for the animal? What are you going to do if the animal requires expensive vet care? The cost of vaccines can run quite high, then add in the license, food, shelter, etc. Are you sure you can really afford a pet?
    Anonymous

• Because the average person doesn't have 3-500 to fork out just to pay for a pet when their kids need winter clothes and the economy is the way it is. Vaccines aren't that much I've had a dog before and I got her from the breeder for $300. I just thought shelters were much cheaper. Also, food isn't hardly anything per month and most dogs don't need to see the vet very frequently and if it did there is pet insurance as well as payment plans so that part of it would be fine.
    Anonymous

• I used to work for a shelter, it pays for the food, care, shots, and spaying. They wouldn't be able to rescue animals if they didn't get the money from somewhere. It also helps to ensure that the person adopting is fully prepared to take on the responsibility. Sometimes people take animals that are free because it's so easily obtainable, then when puppy pees on their carpet a few times they just throw it out on the street for the same animal shelter to pick back up again!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Are you adopting from a rescue group? Those are usually pretty high. Most of the animals come to rescue groups in bad shape and that fee helps to cover the vet fees, spaying or neutering, etc.. The city run animal shelter and the county shelter don't cost as much as a rescue shelter around here. The fees are around $70-$90 and that also coveres expenses. Also, for rescue groups the higher fee assures them that the person REALLY wants the animal. If it was inexpensive or free to adopt an animal then any one on a whim would go get a pet. That's really not a good thing. Also, not sure what pet food you'd be buying but we spend $100 a month to feed our 4 dogs. They go through two 40# bags a month @ $50 a bag. And dogs should go to the vet once a year, just like humans. Pet owners should be willing to provide that care for their animals. Why not go through a breeder? Because you should adopt a dog who needs a family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• 600 is a bit high but if you think about it these rescues spend thousands on every animal that comes through there origanization. They vaccinate, spay or neuter all the basics. They they are luck that is all they have to do but they see many that have been hit by cars, have heart worms some animals need treatment for months before they can even go up for adoption. That adoption fee go towards other animals coming in. Regardless of price i aill alweays adopt mine from a shelter.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The rescue I foster for is no more than 200 for a dog-and that is all shots, spay or neuter, and heartworm tested. Cats are only 50 for the same. The city shelter (baltimore md) is only 65 for a dog or cat with all shots, fixed, and microchipped. When they get full they adopt out all animals over 5 years old for free-with all of the medical stuff done. Look around and find a government run shelter-they are usually cheaper than private. If you are looking for a rescue group look around. There are ones out there that have adoption fees for less than what a spay surgery would cost you. You have to be careful though-some "rescue" charge 300-600 adoption fees-in my opinion that is selling not adopting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• when i adopted my dog from the shelter 5 yrs ago he cost me 90 to adopted and another 120 to fix and 670 to vacs and that was after the iscount that the shelter gave me its very exspensive to adopt a pet but in the end u r saving a life how can u put a price tag on a best friend? i agree 600 is much to pay for any animal now a aday unless u want a registered animal and then ur just buying breeding rites not the personality of the animal personally i though spending the money i did on my biy was alot but in the end like i said it was worth it being he has saved my dds life and with out him i wouldnt have her
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• That is pretty expensive. It was only $110 for our dog. Have you looked around to see if there are any other shelters that aren't so expensive?

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009