Is "Mammy" a racial slur?

I was reading an article today about a new disney movie and it mentioned that "mammy" is a racial slur. I really did not realize this. So.. do you think "mammy" a racial slur? If you think it is, what do you think of people that collect "mammy" dolls?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My friend growing up called her grandmother on her father's side Mammy. What are Mammy dolls?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Yes, it can be. It's a name that was often used during slavery. It could be considered cultural in some ways, but could be considered offensive and racially profiling in other ways. Hang on I think I have more info on it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Okay I read up on it real quick! It's been awhile. In Ireland it's very commonly used term but for a different reason than what it was used for in the US. It can be taken offensively because in the days of slavery it was used like the N word, Lacky, Jigaboo, and those ignorant types of slangs. Some people that have original "Mammy" artifacts actually consider them parts of history and very cultural, many people find the ones that are cheap remakes for decorative reasons creepy and offensive. It's like having a sleeping Mexican as a yard ornament. So yeah I get it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Well I guess I shouldn't have called my grandma that growingup.. People will turn anything into a racial slur. And especially on here women will take a persons opinion  and try to say that they are racist.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2009