Tired of breastfeeding

I've been breastfeeding for 7 months, and everything is going fine. It has been pretty easy for me[she had a perfect latch from the getgo, shes very healthy, I have good supply etc].
But I am getting tired of it.
I am tired of getting up 3 times a night. I'm tired of having to stop what I'm doing every hour in the day to nurse.
The other night I just gave my daughter a bottle of formula in the middle of the night. It was so much easier. She just lied there on my bed and drank it, and I was able to change her diaper while she drank! So there was no big fit, and there was no struggle to get her back to bed.
I don't want to quit breastfeeding. But ahh I wish I could just take a week off lol.
I know this sounds incredibly selfish...I know that I have to do whats best for her. And I know I shouldn't have had a child if I didn't want to make sacrifices.
I need some encouragement here...Anyone else ever just want to give up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep it up!!! It is SO tiring. Can your spouse get up with her once at night? My husband would start getting up with the kids for one feeding, and since they couldn't nurse off of him they would start sleeping through that feeding. It was the only way I got two of my kids to sleep throught the night. The other thing you could do is give one bottle of formula a day (or the night like you just did). It will get easier!! Really!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• u are a wonderful mother for breastfeeding and u have given ur baby a head start on a great immune system lots of mothers stop BF after their babies get teeth shes so close to 7 months i think itd b fine to wean her off and have some relief good job mama
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I totally agree with the pp... 7 months is perfect thats what we did!
    Marcia9043

Answer by Marcia9043 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• OP here;
    ahh I cant even use teeth as an excuse lol! shes not even teething at all yet
    Anonymous

• OP again;
    and no my spouse can't get up with her, he works midnights! I'm alone with her all day and all night. He's only awake when she is for 4 hours a day. It's really getting to me
    Anonymous

• Oh I wanted to many many times. . . I fought through those urges and continued to BF until 18 months. Is there any way you can pump and have a bottle or two available so someone else can take a feeding and you can go out for some Me time? It was a life saver for me to have my hubby take care of Chris for a few hours 1 day a week so I could take an on campus class and have some adult interaction (I'm a SAHM).

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I say keep it up. You won't regret breastfeeding for the recommended year but you might regret quitting. It's tough sometimes but remember all the benefits!
    Anonymous

• She eats so often I dont even have time to pump...The only time I can get more than 1-2oz is in the morning if I happen to wakeup before her...
    I'm a SAHM too, and the only adult interaction I get is one hour on fridays when I get to goto a baby playgroup. And its raining tomorrow and I don't drive so I can't even go to that.
    I'm feeling so down right now
    Anonymous

• At 7 months she should be starting to eat solid food by now. A full tummy is a great way to go to sleep at night. Maybe for your last feeding of the evening give her some rice cereal and the nurse her. She really should be able to sleep through the night by now. As for during the day, again if she is eating now, she should also start drinking water and juice. BF on demand is fine for the first six months but at this point it is ok to put her on a schedule.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 11:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It gets better! You've gone this far, why are you going to quit now! I understand it's a pain to wake up, but why don't you co-sleep. It's soooo much easier! I understand that she eats constantly. Sounds like DS, but believe me, once they start eating solids it gets better! As for not interacting with adults, this is SHORT TERM. You will be able to socialize with other people more often soon.

I know giving the bottle is so easy. That's why most women give formula. Breastfeeding isn't easy. It gets easier with time. Give it time.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2009