What can I do?

My son has ADHD. He has been kicked out of several day cares. Even when he was in daycare, they would call me constantly to come pick him up because of his behavior. Because of this, I can not hold down a job for very long. He is in school now, but he is about to get kicked out of the after school program. I don't get off from work until 4:30. He has to be picked up by 2:30. I have a feeling my work is about to let me go, because of me having to take off so much to pick him up early from afterschool care for bad behavior. There is no way, they will let me leave early. I need to work, but I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• work form home.
    internetceomoms.com/nycia
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• start him in on counseling... medications may be an option, but many times just behavioral counseling and someone who specializes can teach him skills to better his behavior. sometimes there are even herbal supplements that can help. if you live in northern colorado, i can refer you to someone...
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He is in counseling and he is on meds. His behavior has improved a lot, but he has been having some rough days here lately.
    Anonymous

• he might need a higher dose. My sister was the opposite, the dose worked way too well. It made her lethargic. My mom had to get a lower dose.
    Anonymous

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

I suspect that your son has been misdiagnosed; try getting a second opinion.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Very sad, somtimes i hear that a child was taken off meds and taken of processed foods and they were so much better!

I love how America drugs up their kids.

Work at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I was one of those kids that was taken off processed foods, as long as i stayed on that diet my behavior as a child was normal.

I excelled in school,d idnt get in trouble etc..
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I work agree with working at home. That way you personally can teach your child to cope with what he has and maybe he can get off the meds. I think us moms are our childrens best teachers! I started at home biz a few months ago and would be great for you- you can work when you want around your children's schedule! The comp I work with just recently won an award with the BBB so it is no scam! There are no parties, no stocking of inventory, no MLM! Feel free to visit my website at www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. I would love to talk to you about this and answer any questions that you may have! Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The Scentsy program is a wonderful little stay at home work!  I love it, these wickless candles just sell themselves they are so safe for everyone.  Take a look at my site at

http://www.scentsy.com/kblack

patchthatpays

Answer by patchthatpays at 6:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• First of all you need to closely monitor what your child eats. ADHD is affected by sugar and many foods have hidden sugar in them.. Then also look into what is in your home that also may affect his health, like cleaning products and personal care products. You can look at this website for more info www.evelyn1.fourpointwellness.com
    Try to find another parent whose child your son gets along with and ask if they would be willing to do playdates after school or be paid for daycare. Make sure it is someone you can trust and doesn't have smaller children in the home. There are also study programs or tudoring programs where it is more of a one on one, look into the cost.
    I work at home and I am able to pick up my granddaughter after school everyday. Is your job one that would allow you to telecommute part of the day?
    If you would like to talk, just let me know!
    MarieEvelyn

Answer by MarieEvelyn at 2:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009