Head Lice

My oldest got Head Lice in August. We treated everyone in our home, treated the home, and even contacted the school so that they could take the steps needed to prevent a schoolwide out break. I did 2 follow up treatments, each a week apart. I just about pulled everyone bald with the nit comb to insure that there were no eggs left. I have been checking their heads once a week since. Well, tonight I found that my oldest has gotten them again. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from getting them again once we treat this time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Keep his hair short is the only way. I had to battle this several months ago and I have girls.   Anyway keeping his hair short and/or using hair products will defer the lice away.  They like clean, dark long hair. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• try coal tar menthol shampoo available at the natural food store! noseeums hate this and it cured my critters( mites) also teatree oil and hydrogen peroxide in your ears! tea tree oil spray your bed! mister bottle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I used the old discontimued denorex shampoo it worked but they took the coal tar out of it due to some cancer scare but it was my cure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i had it when i was in middle school....lice treatments did not work for me! they only burned, so we contacted our beautician (sp?) and she said-- wash you hair with vinegar (like how you normally would) and then take a fine tooth comb and comb you entire head, then blow dry it completely dry using the comb to go through it, then put a light coat of hairspray on and BAM gone... it worked after the 1st time but we did it again a few days later to make sure...and my advice after you dry his hair kinda shake it out, like run your fingers through it while shaking it so you can get some of the dead bugs out.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• try a product called pink it is for black people not to be racial but it is a oil like spray and put it in there hair everyother day it works bc the head lice can not hold on to the hair good lucj
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Use vinger to kill them (put it in a spray bottle and squirt on head and comb through) and then use the coconut smelling shampoo and creme rinse.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• We use Mela products for the entire home. We had some kids stay with us who had it (and I was not aware) and gave it to my kids. We used the tea tree shampoo and killed them that day.even my kids Dr. was impressed that it worked asap like that as the "rid junk" was not working. Then I washed everything in the house....It took a little bit because of the eggs but tea tree loosens them so when you wash the hair they fall out. We continue to use the shampoo now as it repels and they have never returned. Even our pets stay flea free all year. The pesticides are very dangerous. PM me if you want more info.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My daughter brought them home last year. (our first experience) She and her girlfriend decided they liked each others t-shirt and exchanged them in school. 1 week later, we had head lice. We used Rid but I also reccomend Tea Tree Oil. It has a smell like eucaliptas. the lice hate it. It repels them away. I ended up cutting off about 18 inches off my hair (only because I didn't want the pulling and my girlfrind had to comb through my hair). The tea tree oil helps repel fleas for animals too. I know what you're going through.

good luck!!!!
    karenrosbury

Answer by karenrosbury at 12:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Parents usually forget to clean their cars. Head lice is very difficult to get rid of. Get the treatments from the doctor. They are pretty resilient against the over the counter stuff. It isn't good to use it too often because it can cause some pretty nasty side effects. We got it at a child care center where I worked and we had to wash stuffed animals, toys, bedding, everything.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• We had a motto at the local schools, "Break their legs so they cant lay eggs" Basically it involved copious amounts of hair conditioner and a fine tooth comb every night. We also use tea tree oil which smells lovely but the "visitors" hate it. We have a major problem with headlice because husbands ex-girlfriend does not believe in treating them at all. She has also told the children that there is nothing wrong with having them. Everytime the children stop with us, they spread them around which makes me cross. I think having headlice constantly is awful. Its a sign of a bad parent who cannot be bothered to spend time combing!
    Lunacloud

Answer by Lunacloud at 1:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009