How and when do you start night time potty training?

danjazz

Asked by danjazz at 12:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I did it as soon as he had daytime down. He was 3 and he never had accidents I guess he was completely ready for it. Some people wake their kids once or twice during the night but i never had to do that. If your child is dry in the mornings it's a good sign. Stop giving drinks a couple of hours before bed and let him or her know that if they need to use the potty during the night to get you or go to the potty themselves.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My son will be 5 in February and I sense that this is going to take a LONG time for us. He got the pee thing down really easy but the poop thing he still struggles with. I put a Pampers Umderjam on him with three diaper doublers stuffed in front and the bed it still wet 5 out of 7 night and most nights he will lay there and poop in his sleep. It is so gross having to get up at 2:30 AM to clean a completely soaked and poop filled underjam and then the sheets too. My brother was a bed wetter and so was my husband so I just think that this is going to take a long long time. And its a control issue so in order to counteract the control as of tonight if he poops in his sleep he has to clean it up. I put newspapers on the floor and the wipes right next to it so that he can get busy. If he is wanting control he get all of it! My hope is that he will learn and make a BIG connection if he has to clean it up. Good luck!
    mom2Pip

Answer by mom2Pip at 3:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I didn't do anything. They either got it or didn't. My oldest dd and youngest dd were dry right from the start (in fact my oldest was staying dry at night a whole year before she was potty trained during the day). My middle two wet the bed until at least 7 (my son is 8 and still has the occasional accident and my dd is about to turn 7 and still wears pull-ups to bed). It's more about how mature the bladder is then training.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• well my dd is 31 mts and she hast been wering any pullups at bedtime for 2 wks now nor nap time and she is doing good. she wakes up and goes pee by herslef in the potty. if she has to poop she yells for me to clean her. but so far she has only woken up 3 times to pee in the last 2 wks.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009