let's talk about sex!

How much do you talk to your kids about?

What are you comfortable with schools telling them?

Do you think there are consequences to exposing a child to sexual information or stimuli before they are ready?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Page 51
    Remember 5 year olds
    Topic 2: Masturbation pg 51
    Subconcept: Masturbation is one way human beings express their sexuality.
    Developmental Messages:
    Level 1
    • Touching and rubbing one’s own genitals to feel good is called masturbation
    pg52
    Level 1
    • People often kiss, hug, touch, and engage in other sexual behaviors with one another to show caring and to feel good.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• DD is 2. No sex talk yet, just the difference between girls and boys along with parts.
    I'm comfortable with any facts being given.
    I think there is a time to introduce "hard core" sex ed. Any age is fine by me for letting kids know parts, functions, periods, ovulation, reproduction stuff, etc. I think the more apparent it is and simple it's kept, the easier it will be for them to talk about it. Specifics about types of sex, disease transfer, contraception, etc should be held til around puberty. Young children just don't won't understand the point of say putting a penis in your mouth or family planning. They won't need it so save them the confusion of it til a short while before they do need it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think there are no reasons for an "uninformed" teacher telling my kids about sex. When I was in 5th grade we had sex ed and it was our English teacher! Now, I do not mind the body change class...where you learn about getting boobs and menstruating which was "taught" by the school nurse...at the end tampons and deodorant was handed out and no mention of condoms. But now apparently sex ed is consisting of sexual positions, masturbation, abortion, and many other things that I believe shouldn't be discussed with children. Let alone MY children!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I believe that teaching sex ed to children too young will encourage "exploration" before they even have the desire to do it. Think about it: If I walked into a kindergarten class stuck my finger up my nose, ate a booger, and acted like it was the bees knees then left the room how many kids do you think will try it? If you sit there and tell children who have no desire to even think about sex that sex is the bees knees even with a condom and that it is perfectly healthy to have premarital sex. Then you will see sexual activity go from 16 year olds to 7 year olds.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I don't think any sex ed encourages sex and especially to young children. Discussing positions, masturbation, condoms, or sex that happens to be premarital is educational. No one gains from young people having sex so no one is advocating it. The teaching happens when those being taught have obviously caught interest (like middle and high school NOT 7 yr olds) and the teaching is about health and safety. Having faith in people just waiting and being uninformed is proven to lead to unprotected and harmful sex in young people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I can't believe you used kindergarten as an example. 7 year old children aren't capable of sexual activity. Sexual maturity must be reached first and it comes with sexual interest. That happens around puberty, not kindergarten. Way to exaggerate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• this is exactly why my kids are taught at home, where I KNOW exaclty whats going on and being taught to them.
    You think even without sex ed class your kids wont be exposed or interested? Hell no. Kids talk about BJ's and crap like that even in FOURTH GRADE, YES forth grade!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Anon, you are taking what I said out of context. It was an example of how easily children are influenced and if they are going to be taught sex ed like they did in Massachusetts I promise children will begin exploring sex before they hit puberty. Also it is known fact that girls are hitting puberty earlier...My mother got her period at 18, I got mine at 13, and my little sister got hers at 9.

Here is a link as to when they want to start sex ed. YES is it in kindergarten!

http://www.siecus.org/_data/global/images/guidelines.pdf

Start at page 17 at the top is just a list of sponsors and co authors.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Quoted from page 25 of that link this is for a 5 year old
    Level 1

• Both boys and girls have body parts that feel good when touched.

Page 26
    • Vaginal intercourse when a penis is placed inside a vagina is the most common way for a sperm and egg to join.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I agree with anon:50.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009