• In the Spotlight:

how do you know if you have seasonal flu or h1n1????

if your kids start with a bad cold and fever, do you take them to the doctor? What we should do?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Health

• My kids and my hubby had the H1N1. Our doctor said that you keep them home and secluded for 5 days after the last fever and they need REST. Elderberry syrup works. Get some. Brand name SAMBUCOL from the health food store. I don't have time to go into the chemistry of it.
    If there is HIGH fever piggy back ibuprofen and tylenol. Children who get dehyrated end up in the hospital. Do you understand piggybacking? Give one med then two hours later give another. WRITE down when you give meds.
    H1N1 HAS VERY HIGH FEVERS. Stuffy nose, sore throat, eye pain, skin sensitivity, hair hurts, noise hurts, light hurts, dizzyness, lightheadedness, "Mommy syndrome" meaning (I want mommy CONSTANTLY.....and that was from my HUSBAND!) The fatigue lasts for days. Then, it is gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My daughter had InfluenzaB last yr and my grandaughter has H1N1 right now and they don't seem to be a whole lot different from each other but believe me you will know when it's just a cold or something else. Don't be taking them to the dr unless they get a really high fever. Just use a vaporizer and vick up their chest. Give tylenol/Ibruprofen alternating if they seem uncomfortable
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I would not risk exposing a sick kid to secondary infections at a doctor's office.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2009