Any potty training tips that really do work ? Thank you..

ExxyGirL

Asked by ExxyGirL at 1:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont let them wonder off,when your pt you gotta watch your kid even more so when they do have accidents you take them to the bathroom then and there
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I started out taking my child every 1/2 hr. and she wore a dress with panties you could do a shirt and underoos. we would high five and dance in a circle saying wahoo. i tried he big girl thing but she wanted to stay little so i don't recommend that unless you little one says they  want to be bigger. and let them be there when you go pee and show them. then when they go poo in the diaper put the poo into the toilet and let them flush while you explain this is where your poo goes. just be careful if your child cries after flushing, they may not feel comfortable letting part of themselves be flushed. you can just focus on the pee training. best to you.always praise even if it is (ya you almost made it.) we will try harder next time.

nanna63

Answer by nanna63 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Cloth training pants. I swear by them. A little messy right at first but all my kids trained quickly when I put them cloth pants as opposed to pullups. I still used pullups at night until they were fully trained though. My youngest just turned 3 & she's been trained for a year. (i've trained 5 kids, btw) Also, dont push them. Dont make a huge deal about it if they dont seem interested. They'll get it eventually.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• With my younger girls we used regular panties, not the cotton padded kind. They would wet though and they had very few accidents.
    Staying excited and happy about it helps. If they had an accident I wouldn't act happy, but I wouldn't get mad, I would just be less happy than when they went in the potty and clean up the mess without saying much about it. If they went in the potty the whole family would be excited. We made up a silly song that we would sing every time they went in the potty.
    Being consistent is extremely important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• With my youngest it was a horrible experience, but we used an egg timer and had him sit on the toilet every half hour for 3 minutes (if I remember right). He wouldn't poop in the toilet...he would actually hide to do it. He threw out all the toys offered for postive reinforcement, he even started washing out his own underwear at 3yrs old - he thought I wouldn't know he pooped...it was so frustrating.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2009