guys JUST don't listen

my son's father and I are not together anymore and I have the reason why in the journal post from a week ago or so.. but that's not the case here.. we were arguing today about me 'spoiling' my son when I'm giving him love and care and he had no room to talk since the only time he even did anything with the baby is when I tell him to do something.. And he insisted his mother is ALWAYS right when it comes to a baby. and that it's OK to give a newborn water. I don't want to risk drowning my son and he keep saying it's okay my mother said it's fine.. so I went off on him and said so you're saying it's ok to kill your son because according to your mother it's FINE?! needless to say.. he got pissed at me and hung up on the phone.. I really don't like his mother when it comes to parenting.. 3 of her kids are troublemakers and her 2 year old daughter is more rowdy than I ever seen in a terrible two stage.

kittenripmaygo

Asked by kittenripmaygo at 1:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave our newborn son water and he didn't drown...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• some can take it I guess.. but I don't want to risk that chance, if you know what I mean
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I don't understand why you think that giving your son water would drown him, but he does not NEED it because it's nutritionally void. Him drinking water won't hurt him, breastmilk, and formula both contain water.However, if you give him water, it will just fill him up with nothing, when he really needs the fats and nutrients from breastmilk or formula.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• the pediatrician told me if you give him just water.. a certain amount can drown him on the inside because he can't digest it like he can when it's mixed with breastmilk or formula
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• waters fine but be carefull it's thin so they may choke, but as for the point your getting across, trust your gut as to your child MIL had her turn now it's yours stay calm and good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Hmm.. well.. I just can't wrap my mind around how mixing something with water would make it " easier to digest," than just plain water, but I understand you are concernd for you son, and I understand your worries! I hate it when someone gives my child something I specifically told them NOT to! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Water for newborns is not fine. More importantly, him making a decision without your consent or even thinking about it himself just cause his mom said so is not tolerable. You are the parents. You talk things out and decide. No one can say there is benefit to giving a newborn water. You can say there are risks. So the obvious answer is not to do it. Tell him you 2 will be working on parenting without his mom and be firm.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You are the mother of your son, so you know better whats good or not good for your him, if you don't want to give him water then so be it, don't let her get to you or whatever her son thinks, besides he needs to grow up and listen to the mother of his son and not his mommy.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You need to find a new doctor. That is bull shit what your doctor told you. I understand that you are a first time young mom, get the book "what to expect in the first year" it will help you out a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yes it is true that a baby does not need water. And what the doctor said is right a baby is only suppose to have no more than 4 oz a day because to much water can cause issues. Your the mommy you parent how you want. I have never gave my son any water unless it was extremely hot out. I have a MIL that thinks what she did with her sons is okay now. Her youngest is 21 come on a lot has changed.
    Mommy2Be172009

Answer by Mommy2Be172009 at 4:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2009