Someone Please Explain this to me

Our country is hurting, people are losing their jobs, we are in debt, yet NASA spent $79 million to crash a shuttle into the moon?

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93080?fp=1

This just seems ignorant to me, not trying to be rude, just wondering what others thoughts are on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Our ancesters stored water on the the moon so that we might survive Niribu. It is a little more important then mere everyday life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It is stupid. I don't know what the hell NASA is thinking about sending a missile to the moon. Even if there is water up on the moon, how the hell would we get it back here??? And seriously it's not ours to take. What's going to happen to the chunks of debris not to mention a jolt of that magnitude is bound to jostle the moon in an unnatural direction, hence possibly affecting other planetary movement(also meteors, comets whatever other "stuff" that floats around up there). I'm no scientist but this scares the shit out of me. Long-term effect?

I set my alarm for fifteen minutes before the launch. Although I doubt I'll see anything with the naked eye, that moon is more than just something that lights the night sky...she is my Goddess. this really does upset me more on a spiritual level than the economic level. We've abused the earth, so NASA got bored and now wants to see how many other planets they can screw up too?

Sad!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• How would water on the moon help us survive on Earth if "Niribu" were to collide with Earth?

I honestly think it was a waste, which could have easily been postponed. I know exploring space is the "thing" to do... but making Moon / space travel a priority shows how much this administration really has no effin clue what they are doing.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Thanks answers 2 and 3 I am thinking along the same lines as you. I don't know this whole thing is really freaking me out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• They are covering it now on the NASA channel, now.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 7:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yeah, lets worry about that 0.59% of the budget that goes to NASA every year. Don't worry about how much money is crapped away by congress to save swamp rats or fly people from fundraiser to fundraiser. We spend over $4 billion a year just to keep them in limos and lattes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• No doubt np that is sickening
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• 1st the Pres admin had nothing to do with NASA's decisions; they are not controlled or report to the Pres. So to blame this on Obama is stupid.

2nd while I don't think this is necessarily the best idea they've had; I don't think they're going to end life on Earth by doing this. Pretty sure they'd have to be 110% positive of the potential outcomes in order to get approval.

I get that all you closed minded people can't comprehend the importance of scientific discovery; but that's really not a problem for the rest of us; so go and put on your little tin foil hats and wait for the end of days...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The moon is still there for all who where worried. And with that I am adding for those who are worried about thier tax money 2 links.

Here is a chart showing where NASA's budget goes (not a bad article either):

http://www.nasa.gov/recovery/

And here is a chart showing how much of a buget NASA got this year:

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechartFY2009.pdf

LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 9:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I agree big time with NotPanicking.
    Obama told all sectors to pare down their budgets and we have seen none of it but they have cut money from (and even thought about cutting alltogether) Nasa Projects. They built this stimulus to award Dems their every stupid wish, which is a big waste of our money.
    Face it some people are not in favor of our continued space travel and exploration because they just don't see it going anywhere. They can't see anything good coming out of it.
    Kinda how I feel about Obama.........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2009