Hair dye help

dyed over my dyed blonde hair with dark brown/tiny hint of red in it. Like it but in some places, it needs redone, especially on the bottom half. 'Want to put blonde highlights in the top (from a kit, cap) but dye the bottom the brown color. How do I do that by myself? I CANNOT GO TO A PROFFESIONAL!
PS if you have any other cool ideas that would be wonderful. Just kind of need something to break it up around my face, that's why i wanted blonde highlights. Not afraid to go funky either.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My hairdresser would dye the top part of my hair light golden blonde and the bottom she would clip the top layer and put dark blonde on the bottom layers and tips of my hair.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Buy the hair color in the health and beauty isle, since your hair is naturally lighter you do not need a darker color. You should be able to pick out a color and it should take about as well as the picture shows. You can also buy the highlighting kits in the same isle, they are usually on the top shelf next to all the hair color or maybe the bottom, there are not many of them but I have used them and they work well.

Are you asking about just dying the bottom half of your hair darker? It is difficult to do own your own, you will have to keep your hair straight and maybe tape off the area you want done and and then just color all the hair below the tape...you may be able to find another solution online, like you tube or something. Good Luck and I hope you love it!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• if you've already colored your 'colored' hair with a dark brown, you can not use a blonde to lighten it, highlighted or otherwise. color will not lift color! you will need a lightener (bleach, higher volume of developer, and time). if you do this yourself, be prepared for the lightener to only 'bring up' your level so much, within a certain time/product contraint. it will more than likely lift the brown-color to a weird yellow/orange, which won't be pretty. if you're using a cap, pull less through than you actually want (you can always do more later), use the bleach/lightener, and take your time. watch it continually, to see how the lift is going. you've got a lot of chemicals on your hair-be prepared for the lightening to damage your hair more. a protein treatment beforehand might help equalize the porosity, for more even-lightening. also, you might need to tone it afterwards, to offset any brassy tone. good luck.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Go ahead and buy the same color you used before for the part of your hair that worked. I would either section off the bottom part and redye it and then do the highlights on the top part (which is how it usually goes anyways) Or redye your hair use most on the bottom and still put it on the rest of your hair. So its even. Then wait 3-5 days and then do the highlights. :) I think ive only went to a professional once so i know how ya feel :) just remember its only hair and especially with color its easy to fix.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• oh and if your having trouble w.ur hair looking orange or have red tints in your hair that you dont want make sure to always buy ash in whatever shade you like because the ash has green tints in it so it equalizes and cancels out the redness :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Get the dye from a professional beauty supply . ALl the ones from the drug store for blonde hair are way too ashy and don't look professional at all. The darker colors are better. But have someone help you for the back. If you have long hair you can reach the back and then when it grows in you can see the demarcation line in the back when you pick your hair up. Don't get scared to do it yourself. If you go to a salon, they will dye it and then sometimes the highlighted color still shows up after a couple of washings. If the color comes out asahy a hairdresser usually bleaches it out so the color is more even and not as ashy and highlighted looking. GL !
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2009