best way to teach your child letters and numbers?

i've been trying different things to teach my son his letters and numbers. but he doesn't seem to get it. he has his shapes and colors down perfectly though. i just don't get why he's having so much trouble with numbers and letters. suggestions?? (my son is 2 1/2)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• some people might disagree and think I am a horrible mother but, we bought the leap frog dvds and they are amazing!! I watched them with her and talked to her about all of the letters and she is 3 years old and is READING!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think that the DVDs are great. I would try them. Other than that boys do move slower than girls. At 2 he needs a little time still to be able to process it all is all. Just give him sheets that have the letters on it. There is a site called letteraweek.com I think and they give you a lesson plan for learning a letter a day. Some people love it. It did not work for me but that does not mean that it won't for you. There are lots of things that you could do to show him what letters are and why we need them and one of the biggest is reading to him. Show him the words that you are reading to him and how the letters make words. My oldest read by 4 and each consecutively have done the same. Don't worry about letter recognition until they are 4 and then it all starts to fall in place!! Some can do it fast and others do it slow let him learn at his pace or he will hate learning!!!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• For my son repetitive was key! He is a candy kid let me tell u so for numbers when he was given snacks we'd count them out all the time he picked it up fast knowing he wanted 4 not 2.. stuff like that LOL.
    MOMMA111

Answer by MOMMA111 at 7:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I started out counting on my fingers and showing him how to count to 10 like that.  Now, we are doing the magnetic letters and numbers on the fridge!  I didn't think either one of my kids would like it so much but they do! 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I bought the leapfrog videos too. They are great! We have one for letters and one for making words. My son learned upper and lower case letter as well as sounds in 3 weeks. He uses the fridge phonics word whammer to make words he has learned from the video. We also have an alphabet chart with a pointer. He loves to point out the letters. For the numbers we have a large calander on the fridge. We look at the date and count the days.
    grouchymama

Answer by grouchymama at 9:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• For letters, get one of those "early alphabet" books, and read it to him. Each time you say the letter, point to it. After a while, point to it and say "What letter is that?" If he doesn't know, tell him what it is, and try "What letter is that?" on the next one. It's how I taught my son his letters, and he's known them since he was 20 months old. (We used a book called Mickey's ABC's or something like that)

For numbers, you do basically the same thing. Find books that teach the numbers, and just read them to him, and each time you say the number, point to it. After a while, he'll be able to say the numbers himself.

makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Oh, by the way, the reason I'm not suggesting the Leapfrog DVDs is simply because we can't afford them, therefore we never used them. We got the books for free.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I bought my son a toy lap top (Fisher Price Color Splash Laptop) that had number and letter games. He learned the entire alphabet from that toy!
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 9:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• DD was given the Baby Einstein Alphabooks early on, and loved to pull them out of the box, and flip through them. They're little 3 page board books with great pictures, and colors, and great big corresponding letters on the front. She knows all her letters, and can identify their sounds as well. We also have magnetic alphabet letters on the fridge which she loves to play with. She'll be 2 Oct. 30. I think she just found the way the letters were presented to her to be fun, not a drill, you know? Give it a try, and don't worry. He's only 21/2! He'll get it!
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My response doesn't fit into this age category~   I like Waldorf teaching.    It's so peaceful, beautiful, creative!
    Children study these things is school when they're older (they might already be familiar with them, though), not at 1-2 years.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2009