Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

Do you think he deserves it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• absolutely not!
    NathansmomEmmie

Answer by NathansmomEmmie at 5:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• No but neither to most others that leftist rag of a prize awards to. Such as Carter, Al Gorie, The Russian dude who's name I can't think of at the moment.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• OP here, I wonder if he is going to put that 1.4 mil toward our deficit?

I think this was such a waste! Award him for doing nothing? It just doesn't make sense! Giving limp wrist apologizes and letting bullies run over you makes "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy" then I honestly don't want to know what they think of his other policies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• What a joke!
    WhoCares224

Answer by WhoCares224 at 6:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• hmm..well I don't think he doesn't deserve it. I do find it a bit surprising since we're in two wars right now. But they can pick whoever they want I guess, and they must have their reasons. I do think its cool, though. He's been president for less than a year and he won the Nobel Peace Prize. That's quite an accomplishment.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 6:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yes. OP please do some more research why they awarded him with the prize.

***************************

Carpy

Please leave the left paranoia out of your rampling's. The prize was given by Norwegian Nobel Committee .

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Looks like an Onion headline.
    lori9878

Answer by lori9878 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• "U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for giving the world "hope for a better future" and striving for nuclear disarmament."

This reasoning for giving the price to Obama is a plain insult to human intelligence. Only fools believe that Obama actually "gives" hope and change to the world.

They might as well give Santa Claus the Nobel Peace Price for "giving the world" hope for Christmas presents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• He was nominated TWO WEEKS after being sworn in. What did he do his first 14 days in office? Let's see, um, he apologized to anyone who would sit still. The committee also said they awarded it for his "attempts to limit nukes". Well, then President Ford should have gotten the prize for actually doing something. Have you ever heard of SALT. BO gave a speech and got the prize. Ford brought the arms limitation treaty talks to fruition and got it signed by the USSR and he got laughed at. What a joke.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2009