Herpes simplex virus type 2 in pregnancy? Will my baby contract it while i'm pregnant?

So i've lived with HSV type 2 since August 2008, and haven't had too many outbreaks. My concerns are that my baby will contract it while i'm pregnant. The only thing I know about the virus is that my baby is only able to get it if i have a vaginal birth. I'm really confused on this subject. please help.

LindaButler0507

Asked by LindaButler0507 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you only have to worry if you have an outbreak during vaginal birth.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• ^What she said. Herpes is only spread through Physical contact (usually during an outbreak but sometimes it can be spread when there are no symptoms). There's no way to contract it through the placenta. If you have an outbreak around the time you are expected to deliver they may suggest a c-section so she won't get it.
    Good luck mama and relax, it sucks that you have to deal with this but your baby is not in danger.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 10:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• your dr should put you on a pill that helps curb your outbreaks and put the virus at bay(inactive state). so that it is not contracted by your baby. if they have not talked to you about it i would ask them about it. it's better then having a c section. i think they would start doing that in your last month cause i don't think all are safe to take while pregnant. some are but ins would regulate what kind they would allow you to take. good luck.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The Herpes virus does not cross the placenta. The virus can pass to your baby during a vaginal delivery. Your doctor will most likely recommend a c-section.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2009