Why are you supposed to wean the bottle at 12 months? What if I do it sooner, is that bad?

Will it affect their speech? What is bottle rot?

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 9:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its not at 12 months more like BY 12 months they rather you break them of the bottle because it can dammage teeth and everything like thumb sucking. NO it wont effect there speach if you ween them i think they might get a lisp if they stay on it long enough.

bottle rot is where you put your child to bed with milk or juce and the sugars from that build up in your childs mouth behind the teeth and start to rot your childs teeth like they had too much candy.
    kristi_prncess_

Answer by kristi_prncess_ at 9:08 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You are not SUPPOSED to wean your baby off the bottle at any specific time. I started mine on a sippy cup at 6 months and had no problems. Whenever your baby can hold the sippy of your choice is a good time to start. Try some milk at lunch and give the rest in the bottle. It will be a slow start but they learn quickly.
    There are some babies who just don't want to give up that bottle and it takes longer. Just take it one meal at a time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Just remember your child needs breast milk or iron fortified formula until they are 12 months old. I don't think the bottle part is an issue as long as the child is getting the iron and nutrition it needs for proper brain development. Some people think if they wean their child off the bottle they can have regular milk. Their little digestive systems can't handle it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Ideally they should be breastfed till 2 years old. If they are FF then they should get formula till 12 months and then whole milk. I'd get them off bottles ASAP and move to some sort of sippy cup.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• What if I do it later is my response? My son is 14 months and still drinking from a bottle. I hate it and am about to go and get him some cups this weekend and throw out the bottles.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i got rid of the bottle when my little one started walking(at 7months) she was fine with it(she was also breastfed.if that makes a difference. i think bottle rot is where moms put baby to bed with a bottle and leaves it driping on there teeth and it rots there teeth.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• also if ur having trouble with ur baby taking to a sippy cup,try letting them pick one out at the store and let them hold it on the way home and stuff.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009