What were your reasons to extend rear facing for your child?

My reason is that I really can't afford to buy the next car seats just yet but my twins are only 11 months and aren't 22 pounds. Is it bad that they cant straighten out their legs all the way because they're too long for the seat? How long can I use my infant carriers before it becomes illegal? What toddler carseat did you ultimately buy and what do you think of it so far?

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 9:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't become "illegal" It just becomes unsafe once the child has outgrown the weight AND height requirements. So even if they aren't 22lbs but exceed the height on the seat you need to find a way to buy a convertible seat and move them into that RF.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My reasons for extending rear facing is because it is a proven FACT that is safer, and my son enjoys riding that way, so why turn him? If your babies are about to outgrow their infant carriers then what you need to buy is a convertable carseat. Some great choices are (starting from lowest cost to highest): The Cosco Scenera ($60) Evenflo Titan ($80), Evenflo Triumph Advance ($140, but can be found cheaper), Graco Myride65 (rear faces to 40lbs, forward faces to 65, $150) The First Years True Fit ( Good for tall babies $180).. then from there are Britax Carseats, which are the Cadillacs of carseats, and Sunshine Kids which are good seats.You can rear face in any of the above seats, and you dont have to spend a ton of money to do it. My son is in the Evenflo Triumph Advance, I LOVE IT! but will be purchasing a Britax Advocate CS pretty soon. He is 14mths old and around 21lbs.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Oh, you can use your infant seats as long as your children meet the requirements. If the seat goes to 22lbs, then you are good to 22lbs. It doesnt matter how long their legs are, as long as there is atleast 1 inch of shell above their heads then they arent too tall. Its more about torso length than overall length. Its only illegal if they dont fit.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It is illegal in some states. Our state is 12 months old and 22 lbs before they can be turned around. It is because of the physical development of the child. Rear facing protects their necks considerably more. Also did you know you shouldn't have any kind of toy or mirror on the seat where the child is facing and the handle of the seat needs to be down. So if you are in an accident the seat is free to rock up and push the opening into the seat. The cushion protects the child and if you have a mirror there, the baby will hit that and possibly be injured.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my reasons well i actullay used to be a ff mom. after seeing all theinfo and conveinciong dh i turn dd around at 27 mts. she rides in a cosco scenera and loves it i do feel she is safer and she doent get carsick anymore!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Your twins are too young and too small to FF right now anyway. You can use that car seat as long as they don't outgrow the height and weight max for the seat. So I'd check and see what that is, you'll probably have to by new seats pretty soon!

I ERF because it's safer. Our car seat is designed to RF up to 35lbs, so we'll RF till 35lbs. DD is 18 months and 25lbs right now.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I initially decided to ERF because I knew I'd have to buy a seat with a higher rear facing limit just to get my son to the legal minimum of one year. I learned more about how much safer it is to keep my son rear facing as long as possible, so he did not get turned around at a year. I have a True Fit in one car and a Radian XT in our second vehicle. Hopefully I will be able to keep my son rear facing to at least 3 or 4 years old. I'm hoping a seat comes out on the US market with an even higher weight and height limit for rear facing so that I can maybe keep him rear facing to 5 or 6.  I would suggest finding a certified child passenger safety technician to check if your seats are installed properly and being used correctly.  They can also give you advice and recommendations on ERF and general car seat safety.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 6:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2009