To all the ladies with grown children. Did your child become all or most of what you wanted them to become or not?

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 5:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Mine are 17 & 19 (20 in July) and the teenage years have been the hardest. they are starting to move down the path I have envisioned for them so I am hopeful in a few years they will be there.
    dndmomof4

Answer by dndmomof4 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My kids are 25, 22, and 18. I am so very blessed, my oldest is married and is Radiation Therapist-exactly what she wanted! My middle is my DS who surprised us all and became an airline pilot-his oldest sister told him he'd never do it because he was a "slacker" in high school..hated the homework! And my youngest is graduating from highschool next weekend. She is going to college for General studies to start and hopes to go into the medical field. ABOVE all that..my kids have grown into very mature,responsible adults. I can honestly say that they are my greatest accomplishments. I only pray that the youngest 2 find their soulmates, because love is the real key to happiness.
    Jill1121

Answer by Jill1121 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Actually no- my 25 yr DS is a loner, video gamer, and a cook at a resturant. He is living with my sister by his choice (since he was 22) and not even looking for a place of his own. He seems depressed and lonely.
    My 22yr DD -I just adopted her oldest, she's married to a guy in prison, living with the bio father of the one I adopted, has an 18 month old(I worry constantly about the baby)and now is starting to get in trouble with the law.
    I amworried more than disappointed-neither really seem happy. Maybe it my fault -don't know.
    babipeanut

Answer by babipeanut at 12:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Mine have maturity and great work ethics. They arent professionals, but I am so proud of them :-) They are incredibly family orientated and come home once a year from whereever they are. I couldnt ask for more.
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think that all we can do as parents is try to instill good values in our children.  We hope that as they grow they will become responsible and happy adults.  I have 4 children, his, hers, and 2 of ours.  My oldest son is married and driving truck.  He has 2 children, a boy and a girl.  I don't always approve of the decisions he or his wife have made, but they are doing well.  My oldest daughter died of leukemia 4 years ago, leaving behind a husband and 2 daughters.  My youngest daughter is deployed to Afganistan and we are raising her 2 sons and have been for  awhile even before she left.  My youngest son is soon to be divorced and has a son.  We have done the best we could as parents and that is all that we can do.

aprilgrandma

Answer by aprilgrandma at 11:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is 18 and still very much a work in progress.....
    bbwitchd

Answer by bbwitchd at 2:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter is 26 yrs old & my son is 23 yrs old. I have always told you can be anything you wanna be. But you better enjoy it cuz you spend 95% of your adult life working. My daughter is a Medical Assit. She loves her job and the people. My son choose the ARMY as a career. He is now in Iraq. (ugh). But he loves it. I guess they did take my advice and are doing very well.
    Barb947

Answer by Barb947 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Our sons are 30 & 28, a lawyer & Marine officer, both married, Marine will soon be a father. Our daughter is 21, 2nd year college. They all express their appreciation for having a stay-at-home mom(I worked part-time, but they were never daycare kids) Don't rush children. Skip pre-school, start Kg at 5 or 6, 1st grade at 6 1/2 or 7.Why make your child strain to keep up with older children or struggle with school subjects they aren't quite ready for? Start high school at 14.BIG help socially. Delay college until 18 1/2 or 19.The drugs and sex of college life demand incredible maturity - more than a 17 year old can have. Choose conservative colleges. Univ of Chicago, Hampden-Sydney ... Your children and you are ALWAYS on the same side, always family. Treat them well and make sure they are treated VERY well by EVERYONE in school, or else home school them. Your first job as a parent is to look out for THEM, not for getting along with troubled people in their school.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I wanted my kids (35, 33, 27) to be happy, healthy and to have some financial security (I don't mean rich....or keeping up with the Joneses, but are living within their means and can save a little.) It didn't matter to me what job they had, whether they got married, stayed single, had kids or not, I just wanted them to be happy in the choices they made with their life. I'm happy to say, all 3 have achieved that.
    Anonymous

• I told my four children from the time they were small, I did not care what job or vocation they chose, as long as they loved doing it and it made them happy. I told them I may not agree with their choices, and or decisions, but my love is not conditional, and I will ALWAYS love my children.
    amoonstar

Answer by amoonstar at 10:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2008