How can I get a correct diagnoise for my son?

I think my son as autism. He has been in a state funded program for 8 months. They will not have him evulated, because they do not want to have to add extra therapy. I am willing to go out on my own and pay out of my own pocket to get an evulation, but I don't know how to get started. Could someone please help point me in the right direction??

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Check into your local school district and their early intervention programs. Also check with the local health department. Start with google and google your state & early intervention. You should be able to come up with some decent places to start. DEMAND an evaluation. Get your pediatrician to refer you to a place that does evaluations. Don't give up!

Answer by Hootie72 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Check out the website This is an excellent resource group for families with children who have autism. I have heard the founder interviewed and it seems like a good place to start. You can ask your question there and find the answer from a source dedicated to informing and helping the families and communities of autistic children. I think it would save you time also because they have up to date information and lots of experience. I hope you are able to get what you need. You can also ask about the place your child is at now. Not testing to save money doesn't sound like it is in the best interest of the child. I am sure you can get information about programs and regulations so you know what you are entitiled to before putting your own money into it. Best of luck!

Answer by manna1qd at 9:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i dont think they could actually detect autism until their 2 yrs old. my nephew has it and my sister started with birth to 3. its a wonderful program. ask your doctor and they should be able to give you all the information about it. good luck i hope everything is ok

Answer by cusina48 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My son is 27 months old, and he has been in the birth to 3 program for 8 months. They are the ones that won't get an evulation. Thnks

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Good for you for wanting to get things checked out on your own! For the past 2 years, everyone has been telling me not to worry about my son, etc. and I'm finally getting him evaluated on my own, and we're almost positive they'll tell us he has high-functiong autism. I wish I hadn't waited so long, but I was putting my faith and trust in these professionals.

Have you asked your ped. dr.? If you trust them, maybe they can help and point you in the right direction. I can't believe the people you're working with now don't want him to get extra therapy. What's up with that???

Answer by NovaChk at 9:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2008