bitting and hitting habbits 18 months old

i know my son is 18 months old and is going thrugh a stage but for no reason he will come up to mommy or nana and do a downward slap thing to your face and it does hurt , i tell him dont hurt mommy but i dont think he understands.

and when he dont get his way like last nite i was letting him out of his highchair because he wasnt eating he tryed grabing my arm and biteing me and does it all the time. i dont know how to deal with this

kristi_prncess_

Asked by kristi_prncess_ at 9:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is too young for a time out. The only time it works is when a child can be reasoned with and understands what appropriate behavior is expected from them. Try avoiding the "don't" command. Try telling him to use "gentle hands" if he is hitting. So say, I can see you wanted (whatever it was) I need you to.. (tell them what you want them to do).. Biting and hitting are common behaviors at that age. They have limited verbal skills and you will see the physical retaliation decrease as his language development progresses. I have two 18 month olds in daycare right now that are going through the same thing. It will get better when they figure out how to deal with it. Hang in there!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• it's time to institute a time out. and he will continue this for awhile bc he's getting a reaction (good or bad) you could try reading to him when he's being good. but i wold definetly start time outs now. or spanking if you think that's ok. my son did this for a long time at this age, no matter how long i put him in time out.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my daughter went through this stage. i think that the key to this is consistancy. you have to let him know that what he is doing is hurtful/wrong and that you will not accept that sort of behavior. i would hold my daughter's hands firmly in her lap and tell her "NO" sternly. dont yell... he wants your attention... negative or otherwise. dont every bite or hit him back. that will just confuse him... how can you teach your child not to hit or bite... if you are doing the same back to him. good luck hun
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 11:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Never bite a child.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2009