I am really trying!!!

I was never brought up around much religion. I was baptized, but that was the extent of it. I am now in my 30's, wanting to learn more. I am in a "life w/ God" class, discuss it at home w/SO, and am reading a book on trying to understand the bible and what it means. I am struggling. I can't get past some doubt, my mind isn't opening up to some of this, and I am scared to death because I (like all of us) have sinned, living in sin(not married). I would like my 3 children to start some spiritual learning, but if I can't get this, how am I going to help them. (and my ex doesn't want them going to the church am I going to become a member of). But i feel guilty even asking to be confirmed after this class because of my doubts. I am losing a lot of sleep over this. Help!

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You should speak to your clergy person and let them help you sort through your feelings and doubts. God Bless.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• consider your self blessed and "lucky" for where you are at this moment in life, where very few humble themselves in such a way to recognize that they need God in their lives,they don't appreciate the blessings of this opportunity, to come to the Father and ask for forgiveness-which he's more than willing to do for us,at the same time a new beginning!. what you need to do is just PRAY! to our heavenly father for WISDOM ,His word promises that if we need wisdom in understanding something He will give it to us! and I know he will do the same for you... MAY HE BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU!

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 9:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• What do YOU believe? How does this class and the beliefs it espouses fit with what rings true to you? Right now it sounds as if you are trying to fit yourself into someone else's template out of fear and a desire to 'fit.' I don't think that finding a faith should feel stressful and uncomfortable- I think it should feel joyful, like 'coming home.' I know it did for me. I would take some time to think about what you believe. Pray on it. Think on it. Write a journal about it. You can look inside for God as well as outside. Once you know what is spiritually significant to you, you can find an outward way to express it if you feel it's necessary. It's okay to be seeking, it's okay not to have all the answers yet. Spiritual growth is a journey. HTH and hope you find something that resonates with you!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You can begin by accepting the doubt. And remembering that mythology is often mixed with history and truth can be twisted in the retelling over the span of thousands of years. If you doubt that a wooden ark could be built that would hold two of every animal on the earth (about 30 million species), that is good logic. Such a thing IS impossible. If you concede that the flood was probably a local one and the ark may have been able to hold two of each of the local animal species (probably a thousand or so), that makes better sense and is certainly miricle enough. Unquestioning faith prevents you from seeing what MAY be the truth underneath. Doubt may let you cut through the extravagant mythology out of the bible and enable you to see what truth may be underneath. You want your children to think things through for themselves, so you must learn to do it too.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• A perfect teaching tool, for New Christians is a series called "The Truth Project" It practically answers everything and still gives you more! Its incredible!

Louie Giglio, has several Sermons on God that are just amazing! They really get you moving in the right direction.

There are several books as well.that really allow you to see Gods call on your life like " A woman after God's own heart." and "A power of a praying Woman" "Power of a praying Wife, and Power of a praying Parent" are incredible books to read and grow with for you and your family!

Continue to seek God and his wisdom. He will answer!

Dont feel bad that you have sinned God knows it and already knew before we were born.. but that is why he sent Christ Jesus Down, to save us of our sins!

Dont let the enemy(satan) make you feel restless, and without peace thats what he wants! I pray that the Lord would remove that and bind satans works from making
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• you feel this way.. that God would just pour into you joy and happiness, for coming home to him! The enemy wants us to feel unhappy, but Christ is hear for us to turn to .. Turn to him and lay it all his feet!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• WitchQueen, what a way to motivate someone for God! I feel so sorry that you would even doubt the Magnificent God in that way!

Whatever encounter made you so unhappy with GOD I pray that you find peace and return home to God before it is to late!
    Anonymous

• What kind of Church are you trying to Join and why doesnt your ex want you to join?
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• First of all... I really encourage you not to try to figure it out in your head but allow God to show you in your heart . I also encourage you to read the book of John to get to know who God is and How He loves you. You are trying to figure this out in your mind and God is so much bigger than the mind!
    Then I encourage you to make a decision for Christ and just ask Him into your heart and when you do that if you havent already you will see a huge difference in how you see things in the bible.
    Just want to encourage you in that and also I want to say be wise in the posts you read on here . Some are to discourage you from Christ and others are encouraging you to run toward Him. Of course the choice is yours but just be wise :-)
    Blessings!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If you feel stressed out this may not be the Church or denomination for you. Write it all down and pray about it. You should feel joy, not doubt and fear. You really should have the sensation of "coming home" not what you are feeling now. Faith is a journey and it is soul seeking. I hope you find the place that makes you feel like you have come home after your journey of seeking out your path. Have no fear, no guilt only knowledge seeking joy.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2009