If you were induced and had an epidural....how was your labor?

And how many cm were you at the start of the induction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my oldest I was induced and was at 1 cm, I got an epidural at 5 cm and went fast to 10 and pushed for 25 minutes and had the baby with no problems. My entire labor was only 4 hours from the time they broke my water until she was born.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I was 'induced' at barely 1 cm because my water had broken and I was in labor for nearly 16 hours with no progression past 1 cm. I never fully dialated, only got to 7 1/2 before I started pushing and it took 2 1/2 hours and my doctor threatening a csection before my son was finally born. I had an epidural but it didn't work I felt everything and ended up with a 4th degree tear mainly because my never fully got ready for labor & pushing. After all was said and done I was in labor for well over 39 hours. Not to mention the contractions were horrible.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I was induced and was given a epidural at 2cm. I feel like such a wimp. Ha ha. I ended up having a C-section because I just wouldn't dialate anymore. Once I had the epidural I was in heaven though. Of course I had to get it also for the C-section.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 9:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• With my first baby, my son, I was induced at 5cm 330 pm at over two weeks late and took an epidural four hours later with little progress. When I was 10cm at 10pm I pushed for over two hours and had a cesarean with no progress coupled with me worn down from being so past due.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my sister was induced and had an epidural. her labor went well, all-in-all it was about 11 hours long. i do not know how many cm she was or any of the other factors that predict whether induction will be successful.

although she was lucky, the other ladies' experiences are normal too. there are risks attached, so i would only do it if it was medically necessary.

but my sister was never threatened with c-section, her baby never showed signs of distress, and did not have breathing problems after birth. so, if your induction is medically necessary, know that it is not impossible to have a good birth experience nonetheless :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The only labor that falls into both those criteria was my second. I was induced at 38 weeks when I was 2cm's dilated. She was my easiest, fastest birth. 3 hours from first drop of pitocin till birth. I got my epidural about an hour after the pitocin. Easy peasy labor. I wish the other two were as easy.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• epidurals for all three, induced for the third.

the epidural did slow it down but slowed it down enough taht i could regain control. mentally and physically.

the induction was fast and furious.

but all things said and done....I wouldn't have done anything different. they were all great experiences.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• oh and I was at 4cm dialated when I was induced with the third - but had been having nonproductive labour for 6 weeks before that induction.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• 4cm when started, my labor lasted 8 hrs total it hurt but after i got the epi it was a breeze, i got the epi at 6cms
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 11:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I was induced twice...

First one - I was 42+ weeks, My water broke at home, I was 4cm. I was induced, got the epi and had a completely painless (accept for the family that wouldn't go away) 18 hour labor. I pushed for a full hour and had no issues what so ever...

Second one - I was 42.5 weeks. I was induced at 6am and was 4cm with this one as well... I got so much flack because of the epi the first time I asked just to have the demerol this time... An hour after the demerol IV was doing nothing but making my head spin so I went with the epi. Again, pain free from that moment on. I slept through most of my 11.5 hours of labor and watched tv through the rest. No issues!

My only problem is that I have a small scar on my back from having them. But it's no big deal. If I ever have more, I will do the same thing. (My body will not produce enough hormones to go in to labor so I have to be induced every time.)

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2009