What are your thoughts?

Obama is going to once again extend unemployment and Cobra benefits. In my opinion his simulus isn't helping fast enough if at all and this move will not help anyone get or keep a job.
So what are everyones thoughts on why jobs are still being lost at half a million a week? Are there still those of you who think we should still just wait?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It is our fault...we need to be the ones to make changes in our personal lives. The change needs to come from the bottom. We need to start being more fiscally conservative ourselves. We need to be more self sufficient. So that when a company decides to go out of business or take their jobs overseas we can still feed ourselves. We cannot sit here and say we want our government to be more fiscally conservative than the average American. The average American is in debt that will take them half their life to get out of. Actions speak louder than words if people show the government how we want our country to run, by practicing what we are preaching then the government will follow our example.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If he had taken the money he gave the banks and gave it to the people with stipulations:

a.) you had to pay all of your bills to "0".

b.) every person would have paid a 25% tax rate on the money received. (IRS would have made about $25 million in taxes.)

c.) next major purchase had to be in cash (car, house, furniture, RV, whatever it was)

d.) present receipts to prove money was spent as required, unused money is returned to the treasury even if it is $1.

\Banks, real estate, credit card companies, heatlh care facilities, car industry, all of it would have reset. Sound crazy? Well, it would have done more than giving companies money and now they want more. Why not give it to the people who paid the money in and let them save the companies by paying their bills and buying the products. It would have meant about $2.5 to each person. I would have followed

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I agree with lori!

Answer by older at 10:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• This is simple, let us keep more of our money so we can pay our bills and than we can go shopping.

You learn in school that government should never give money to companies. They should let them fail. The stimulus will never work. Instead is will get worse. This is called fat cats getting fatter.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• There is a huge underlying factor. There are jobs that can't be filled. The stimulus is making jobs, they are just "green" jobs that require a specific skill set. They took jobs from a specific group, largely production, consumer product etc, and made jobs that very few are qualified for. This is only going to get worse. What are those people who are fifty years old and have been working on a machine line all their lives supposed to do? Go back and get a four to eight year education in green gas emissions? Um, ok?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Why not? My husband and I are mid thirties, early forties. One thing I do know is that progress is constant. It isn't fun that we are 20 years into our careers and back in school, but its what we need to do to support our family.  I am pretty sure that when the industrial revolution was in its heyday that the farmers were shocked and were scared, but apparently they got past it.  Embrace change or be run over by it. 

lori232

Answer by lori232 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Big difference between being thirty and fifty, we are talking about taking jobs from people who very well may not have the aptitude or money to go to school and deliberately creating jobs they will never be able to obtain. But it's ok because it's Obama, right!

Let me out it in liberal speak, it created jobs only rich people can get.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Lori-
    I have no problem with going back to school or trying to better ourselves. My dh is learning chinese to do just that but I hate thinking it has to be done because someone says "CHANGE HAS COME" There are very few green jobs available actually. What the green secttor needs is people who can devise and design efficient and affordable ways for America to be green. The government wants to jump in with both feet, forcing people to be what they want. Take wind power, most people don't want to pay the extra money to have their power generated by windmills. TX has the largest amount of windfarms in the US and when I switched my electric company I looked at them. The cost per kilowatt was 16+ versus what I picked at less than 10 kilowatts. Times are tough for most and until the greening of America is made less expensive it won't be accepted for the most part.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have no problem getting an education either. But who is going to lend someone 5 or 10 years out of retirement enough cash to go to school? Plus how are they and their families supposed to live? The whole fang stimulus doesn,t make sense.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• They are working on a second stimulus. Oh boy, more "blow and go" money!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2009