Homework - bring more Advil :)

This is another one that has nothing to do with the assignment since the assignment would require way more reading than I could fit here.
Same rules as always - no scripture, must be universal, etc etc

Aquinas says that faith may be supported with reason (facts) but that having facts takes faith out of the question. IOW - you trust your kid, they say they didn't break something, you have faith they didn't. Your kid says they didn't break something and you saw the cat break it, you don't have faith the kid didn't do it, you know.

So with that in mind, if there was ever a shred of evidence of ANY type of supreme being (not specifically the Abrahamic one, but any), would that evidence thereby negate all faith because faith is the absence of fact?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ouchies....me brain hurts.....I have to agree with Kristi. I believe that if we have some sort of proof then an aspect of faith is eliminated but one would still have to have faith on some level.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Way too much to think about this early in the morning...honestly, I don't know what the heck you're talking about! LOL
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• There is something wrong with that logic. If your kid told you that the cat broke the lamp and you immediately believed him. That would be faith. If you immediately doubted and then saw little kitty paw prints and then believed that would be a lack of faith. Can't follow the logic any further than that for you though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I need more coffee first.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 11:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my view on this is this.. for me.. when i read the Quran.. i see many proofs in it. I have faith.. then when i see no proof for something but it has happened, i have faith in it. So... i see the trees live and die, i see my baby born from nothing. i see the sky without any holes in it. .I have faith in it that it is from God. then there are his laws.. and they may not make complete sense to my feeble mind.. but i know that i have faith that there is a wisdom that the creator has that i don't. that's Faith. logic goes out the window because God is bigger than us, than that and our intellect is liimited and we only come to know those things he allows us to know.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have a hard time grasping how one piece of evidence could validate an entire religion. I'm a skeptic, so I would want more evidence. Say for example Noah's ark is found. It meets the exact description from the bible, it is scientifically dated to the correct time period, documents found inside show an animal checklist on Noah letterhead, etc. Every scientist has tested this ark and can't find anything phony about it. Fine, okay, I'll accept a person named Noah built an ark as described in Genesis.

But this still does not prove to me that a rain of 40 days and night created a giant flood covering the world and destroying all other land animals. The evidence is the boat, but it still takes faith to believe the whole story.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It's not about evidence validating religion - it's about evidence INvalidating faith.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The evidence invalidating faith.. is flawed.. eventually we will come to know that something we thought invalidated faith indeed did not. That's the way of it. Allah has created it that way. That is why you see science is always changing evolving. One day they say this.. 20 years later they say something else. We discover things at God's will.. or don't.

God says in the Quran what is left after the truth save error.
    And that truth will always override falsehood.

so for instance..t he bible says the world is flat.. for a long time people believed this.. yet the Quran refuted it and says the world is round.. God clarified the matter for the people.. eventually we came to know..by scientific validation that indeed the world is round.. but if we had had faith in the revelation that came after another...we would have believed.

our problem is we need proof while it's right infront of us and we don't see it. we need to .
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• take off the blinders..and the blinders are not on our eyes. They are in the heart. We see yet we disbelieve. If we worked on the corruption in our hearts.. perhaps Allah will lift the veil from us and allow each of us to see.. another scientific proof from Quran.. . The quran says that the mountains are fixed firmly ...now science tells us that the mountains are like pegs that stop the world from shaking and hold the earth firmly while it is revolving... another proof... the Quran says the two seas have a barrier.which stop one from mixing with the other.. science has said this is true.. yet they do not know how.. We have faith it is true cause the quran states it.. but some disbelieve because they don't know how. logic is not the answer.. faith is.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• No. it merely affirms that the particular God in question, for which evidence has been provided, exists.
    In the case you provided as an example, you believed your son without evidence in the first case. In the second case (the way it was written) it merely reaffirms the original faith with a single supporting fact. Faith is not a 2 dimensional issue it has layers.

Case in point, let's say your son really did break the lamp via the cat. You heard the crash, came running and saw the cat amongst pieces of lamp before running off a second later. What you did not see was your son toss the cat on top of the lamp. Since you did not see this, and only saw the cat leaving from the broken lamp, do you still have faith your son is telling the truth and did not break the lamp? You would have faith he is telling the truth and even have a fact supporting that faith.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009