If you are doing the swine flu shoots for your child then please answer this?

I just heard that they haven't even tested it so noone knows what it is going to do are you still getting your child the shot? I haven't made up my mind until now I kept saying that I didn't know cause noone has ammunity to it so what would it do to everyone well now that I heard this I don't want to have it done. So what are you thoughts on this and are you still getting them done even though they haven't been tested?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Anon- you are wrong, they can test drugs on children. Every med/vax is put into a category and that tells you who can take it. No, OP, my children, myself nor my my husband will be getting a vax that has not been properly tested. My family are not a bunch of guinea pigs. Another point, you cannot sue anyone if you get injured from this vax, since all pharm companies and drs have been given immunity. It is clearly stated that it is not known if this vax will harm a fetus! Nice! Nope, not my family!
    Anonymous

• They could never release a vaccine without testing it whoever told you that is full of shit.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 10:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I haven't decided. I asked my Mom (she is a nurse/office manager) and the doctor she works for is her friend so I asked them upfront. Both are on the fence really. I didn't get a straight answer. They are all getting it because of the environment they are in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• P.S. It's recommended for pregnant mothers, children between 6 and 18 months and parents of infants. For that reason I will be getting it (since I'm 36 weeks pregnant), my brother will be getting it (since he stays with me and will be around the baby) and my 19-month-old son will not be.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 11:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The seasonal flu vaccine is actually a new, untested vaccine, every year or two. Flu viruses constantly mutate, the pharmaceutical companies guess at how it will evolve over the next year or two, and make the vaccine accordingly.
    .
    My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury. As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/ . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax. You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days? I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this: cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves? According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children. Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

• Yes, the vaccine has been tested. BTW, the H1N1 can be caught not only by contact with hands but by coughing and sneezing. Handwashing is prudent but won't always stop it. Also, the only way to know if you or your child has had it is by getting the test done specifically for that virus. So many people are saying their family has had it and never got tested. Why they are trying to pull that one over on everyone, I don't know. Most doctors aren't even testing for it because it is so expensive. Hospitals are overwhelmed in some parts of the country. That's not hype. It's fact. Don't let those opposed to vaccines scare you.
    Anonymous

• It's ironic how many mothers on here think they are experts just because they read an article or two- or watch a show- or read a book. ALL the experts say contradicting things. YES they CAN release a vaccination without testing it first- now I don't personally know about the H1N1, but they can do it.
    People need to take the time to educate themselves from reliable resources- NOT on a board full of Catty Mommas!
    Anonymous

• Just an FYI.... it's illegal to test on children so NONE of the vaccines or OTC meds you give your child have been tested for the target group. They test adults and then change the dosages for kids.
    Anonymous