Sticky Situation..

Okay- Long story short, My Mom got custody of my brothers baby when she was 2 weeks old, then ADOPTED her when she was 2.5 years old, removing both parents of all rights... My mom is older, has health problems, and Me and my fiance who lived with my mom have raised her, she calls us Mommy and Daddy and calls my son brother. My mom moved out of her house and let us have it, and bought a small trailer and put in the backyard. She will be giving us custody, my niece is now 5 years old, since we've raised her and she is too old to start over. This is fine with us, we love her like she is our daughter and always have. Now the Egg Donor is threatening to take us to court and take her back- because she claims my mom "abandoned " her by moving 3ft away... My question is- She cant do that because she signed all rights away when my mom adopted my niece-right? Not worried about losing her, but just wondering am I about to have to fight ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's stupid-I doubt she would even get a court date. She has no legal rights and moving to the backyard is not abandonment by any means. However I would contact a lawyer now and tell them the whole story before she does anything, just to cover your bases. There are refferal services online that give you free legal advice and refer you to someone in your area.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 11:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think we are gonna call the lawyer who handled to adoption, I need to see how to go about legally transferring her to my custody anyways... anyone know if that is something you can do yourself?
    Anonymous

• That doesn't sound right. If you really think it is in the best interest of the child, then you need to go get your paperwork in order as official guardian.

Anonymous

• Yeah, we have been planning on doing that, we are trying to save up the money, it gets expensive and we paid so much in lawyers fees doing the original waiving of rights. Her best interest is to be right where she is, no matter what her legal status is, My mom is a big part of her life, but I play the mommy role... My concern is that her Egg Donor will try to take us to court and take her back from all of us... but I dont forsee that happening. Especially since she signed her rights away over 2 years ago, and she is only threatening all of this because of a little argument we got into because she told one of my friends a bunch of lies and I confronted her...
    Anonymous