Why wont he eat what he asks for?

My son goes to pre-K, he just turned 4 in Aug. This morning he asked for Mac-n-cheese for breakfast. I thought well, at least it's filling and better than a pop-tart. I asked him "If i cook it, are you sure you are going to eat it?" And he said yes. He got up to the table and kept playing then said, I dont like it! It's the same i've always fixed! I got so angry and didnt know what to do. It was just a big mess this morning and he went to school crying. Help!

forevermom75

Asked by forevermom75 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids are like that. It's not worth getting angry about. Eat the mac and cheese, save it for later, or throw it out. Don't make battles out of food, it won't make anything better.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• lol... I make breakfast, sit it on the table and if they eat it , they eat it. A stressfull morning can make his whole day go bad. Just make something you know he likes and let him either eat it or dont eat it... its not that big of a deal. Even if he doesnt eat it theres snack and lunch time right around the corner. He's not going to starve.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Just be consistent. Doesn't matter what it is. Then when you tell them something, they learn you mean what you say, every time. I mean that in the most tender way. It applies to everything at every age. So, when you say you asked for the mac and cheese, they know they eat it or go without. And they go without if that is clear from the beginning. Its hard to do, you feel sorry for them sometimes, you want to give in, but they are smart and learn quickly when there is a "loop hole".
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2009