Uproar over the Nobel Prize?

Don't understand why so many of you are in an uproar over our President wining the Nobel Prize. Regardless of whether you like him or not for whatever reasons, the Prize is an honor for our country, only two other White House occupants have earned this. Why demean the honor?

Asked by older at 11:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Those of you who are upset about Obama getting this award need to direct your anger at the committee that selected him. If I understood the gentleman from this committee correctly, they seem to feel that his opening up talks with countries Bush would not even talk to had a lot to do with their choice. Without communication (even with countries who we disagree) there will never be a chance for peace in thr world or safety for us.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Why demean the honor?

Because it devalues it. It's about as meaningful as giving Brittney Spears a Mother of the Year award because she makes a comment about liking kids. Granted, the award was basically rendered meaningless when they gave it to Al Gore for a movie that has been partially debunked, but this does nothing to restore its credibility. Bill Clinton of all people went and rescued those two girls from North Korea and Obama is the one who gets an award for saying he maybe wants to try to do some things. Where's the "honor" there?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• NotPanicking, the honor is there, just in the fact that he is the third US president awarded this

You're not getting it. Giving it to Obama makes it no longer an honor. The honor of it has been stripped. It is now about as meaningful as a Video Music Award.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• only two other White House occupants have earned this

EARNED THIS is the key phrase--he didn't earn it, the nominations were closed in February 2009, before he had done ANYTHING yet, Make up your minds here, is he still getting up to speed and hasn't had time yet, or has he done anything so wonderful that he deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for it?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I just heard about it on FOX. But I didn't here why he got it.  I do not have a problem with him winning. 

Answer by louise2 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I won't demean the honor but I'm sure the President will find some way to do that without my help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I agree with NP. There's no honor in getting it for things he hasn't even done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• NotPanicking, the honor is there, just in the fact that he is the third US president awarded this, just because you think someone else should have gotten it, it doesn't mean it is still not an honor for the US.

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• pagan mama, apparently those who awarded it think otherwise.

Answer by older at 11:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It is now about as meaningful as a Video Music Award. - NP

So I feel like someone should jump on stage and take it away and give it someone else who earned it.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2009