Epidural Question?

When are youo offered in epidural? When is it that you've goteen to far, and no longer have the option of the epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to talk to your nurse when you get to the hospital. She is the one who manages your labor. That's why choice of hospitals is so important. The doctor leaves standing orders. She calls the doctor and lets him know about progress. The doctor usually shows up just for the delivery. You may have several nurses if they are busy and because of shift changes. You need to talk to all of them.

Hospitals have different philosophies toward epidurals. The hospital I had my son at did not ask you. I chose that hospital because they knew how to help mothers that didn't want epidurals. I have a ad from another hospital that boasts they "belive in epidurals" and 95% of the births are by epidural.

There is no universal rule about how many cm dilated you have to be for an epidural. Before you can have one you have to have a big bag of IV fluid because the epidural causes problems with blood pressure.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Don't do it! the after effects from it are not good. I lost feeling in my left side only and my right was in excruciating pain. and the headaches they dont tell you about ahead of time make you feel like theres something in your head thats trying to saw its way out. And you can't walk afterwards. and one side of my face went numb, i looked like i'd had a stroke! Terrible experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• not everyone has bad experience, i had one & have had no side effects from it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I got mine when I was around 4 or 5 cm. I had been in labor for about 5 hours at that point. It was such a relief when I got it. I let it wear off the closer to when it was time to push. Side effects do happen, but not to everyone.
    Anonymous

• I have had 3 of them with no problems. Everyone will react differently to it. Talk to your Dr. about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Cont.

They have to call whoever is going to do the epidural, usually an anesthesiologist. He has to get all his stuff ready. So when you ask for an epidural it takes awhile to get it.

Sometimes when you get to that point when you think you can't take anymore there are other things that can help. Even other drugs. My DIL got exhausted at about 5cm and agreed to an IV drug, I'm thinking it was stadol. She fell asleep for a couple of hours. She woke up and was 10cm and it was time to have a baby! She slept through labor.

Some women can't get an epidural. I encourage you to go to google and read more about epidurals. I can't get one because of a back condition I have. The needle can't fit between my bones. I didn't know when I had my 3 children, good thing I wasn't planning on having on! There has been a couple of times since I have had to have spinal taps and they have to do them in X-ray because of my spine.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2009