Another Epidural Question....

When I had my daughter I was given pain medication through an IV for a while, then when that was no longer effectively handling the pain, I got the epidural, which worked like a chram. My question is, who did it the same way, or would you skip right to getting the epidural when you started having pain??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i agree that i would wait as long as possible. i went into my first labor with an open mind. i had no idea what the pain would be like but i did not want an epidural. i wanted all natural. it turned out that the other pain management stuff i did (vocalizing, water, etc) worked to manage my pain and i never wanted an epidural. maybe it will be the same for you the 2nd time, and you won't have to worry about the risks of epidurals :) good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• With my second birth I did not have an Epidural. Of corse I was in pain, but the pain of child birth goes away shortly after bith.

Answer by louise2 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The longer you hold off on the epidural, the safer. Mom can continue to move and stay upright (working with gravity is very important), and baby has less exposure to the drugs.

I would skip it altogether. If there was a medical reason for induction and I had to lie in a bed then I would definitely put it off as long as possible, hopefully altogether.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Oh my lord, I would NEVER go with the pain meds again.. I did the same you did and it was STUPID to do the meds because they would knock me out for two minutes, then I would wake up for a contraction, and it was seriously like I was just having one constant contraction because I was sleeping while I wasn't having one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I didn't have an IV; I had a saline drip from my hand. At first I tried stadol, but it didn't do anything really. I later had an epidural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I didn't have the pain IV the first time. I just went to epi. But with number two I tried the IV... NEVER AGAIN! From now on it's epi only... I got so sick from the demerol - It was horrid.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• oh but i would also avoid the IV meds to start because they can make it a lot harder to deal with the pain in other ways. that's just me :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2009