Is there a way to tell if you will have a bad reaction to an epidural??

I had on with my daughter, and I am due in December, and planning on getting it again, if I didn't have a bad reaction the first time, what are the chances I will have a bad reaction this time. Anyone have one that went fine and then another one that didn't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that what happened to Gallil was an accident of the birth itself. About the epidural - for my three epidurals and my first epidural was during a labor that ended up c-section. My next two birth were repeat sections because I was very badly overdue the first time, to avoid that. But I was able to interview my anesthesiologist each time before my one labor and subsequent c-sections.

I only used a board certified anesthesiologist to administer my epidurals and to monitor me during my deliveries. You have the right to choose your doctors - certainly with rules of your health insurance but still some doctors are board cert and others are not.

Some states detail physicians malpractice and others try to keep it all very well hidden. Ask your friends, ask other moms in doctors offices.

Advocate for yourself and your baby and have a support person who believes in yr choices and will also advocate for you during l/d.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• yup! with my first I had the epidural and everything was ok and with my second it all drained into my left leg and I couldnt move or feel it for a day.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• There is no way to tell. You could have an allergic reaction to the drug. You have to have had a drug at least once to have an allergic reaction. The drug could be put into the spinal fluid instead of the epidural space and you have all the problems associated with a spinal. You could have problems with your bladder and they decide to cath you and you get an infection. The doctor could use the wrong drug or the wrong strength.

When my son was born I suffered permanent nerve damage to my leg and couldn't walk. It's called a birth inury and they never tell you about them. Many doctors came to see me while I was in the hospital and they all said "that can happen when you have an epidural." It can paralyze both legs FOREVER. Thing was I didn't have an epidural. The baby's head crushed a nerve. With PT I learned to walk. I walk slow, can't run, use a wheelchair sometimes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If the first one went well and you health is close to the same with baby's health good, you very likely will do well with the epidural. I'd talk in detail to your ob and anesthesiologist before delivery about your fears.

Some moms have feelings in their arms, for all three of mine I was numb from my chest down. I still breathed on my own but my arms and waist down felt heavily waited and numb when my sections started. I did feel rough tugging to get my second baby out and nauseas from that but nothing else.

I was monitored for several hours each time until I could move my body myself.

Why are you so afraid?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• No way to know anything wither way, for certain. You might learn about your personal health factors to see if there are contraindications.

But, to opt for a safer choice, you can learn about natural birthing/coping. With good info-support it's not that bad.
    I had 2 water births and have helped several women deliver without drugs. Those who did choose it said they regretted it after the fact. (They later realized that they actually could have continued without, after all.)
    If you want to avoid possible (maybe rare) complications and eliminate the risks and exposure to your baby, you can find other ways to have your baby more safely.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• there is no way to tell. each birth is totally different. even if you had a bad reaction with one child you may not from another child' birth w/ epidural
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• At about the same time I had my birth injury there was a mom that was paralyzed in both legs from an epidural. Her husband put her in a nursing home, filed for divorce, and got custody of the kids even the newborn! It was a big story on the news.

My husband filed for divorce the day after my son was born. He didn't want custody. My baby was a premie and the doctors told my husband I would never walk and my baby probably had CP. I never saw him again except in court.

It was a year before I could walk and I was a single mother parenting 3 kids from a wheelchair. We lived in a tri-level house. I had other medical problems related to conditions I developed during the pregnancy. There were a lot of nurses and the physical therapist that came to the house. It's amazing no one ever tried to take my kids away.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I can't answer to the bad reaction part, but i can say that my friend got epidurals, and with her first it worked great, no pain, with her second, it did not work and she was in a lot of pain, and since she had the epidural she couldn't move around to try other forms of pain relief.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2009