• In the Spotlight:

What helped you get through natural childbirth?

I want to go natural this time and I was hoping some of you could share, specifically, what really helped you get through labor without using any drugs. I plan on taking lamaze, which is covered by my insurance, but I don't have money to take a bradley class or anything. So if it was a class, maybe you could just give me some specifics. Also I will not be considering a home birth so I respect all you ladies who do it, but it is not for me. Thanks for your help in advance.

shawneewaiting

Asked by shawneewaiting at 11:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hirea doula. You can get one cheap sometimes when they need a birth to certify, or if they are uncertified and need experience.

What helped me? My doula, rubbing my hips, applying warm compresses, reminding me that it will be over soon, that I'll be holding my baby, that I wanted to do this for my baby. I had to be in bed my whole labor. I was induced with high blood pressure and being upright made my BP dangerous for me and the baby. But when I got up to go to the bathroom I gotta say... my contractions were HALF as painful. Stay upright and move around. A doula will know how to keep you comfortable standing, sitting upright and squatting.

Having my husband there helped a lot too. He was there, by my side, being my rock the whole time. Even though I didn't remember his role very well when it was all done :p

You can do it! Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Have a sister or girlfriend there that's been through a natural birth. My sister was there for me with my first, and it was such a big help. She knew what my Husband should do to help me and how to keep me calm. Just remember to breathe, and like the other poster said, remember the prize at the end, your beautiful baby!! CONGRATS!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• WALK around if at all possible. When my contractions started getting unbearable I got into a tub. The hospital I gave birth in had 2 rooms with big tubs. This specific hospital doesnt let you deliver in the tub but you can labor in one. My midwife told me to do what felt comfortable while I was in there. I ended up on my hands and knees with my head resting on the edge of the tub. The water was very hot and my midwife put cold washcloths on my back and shoulders. My husband kept a cold cloth on my forehead. When I was dilated to 9 they had my sit backwards on the toilet while they got the bed ready. This felt really good also, really felt good to be able to open my hips that much.

Near the end I felt like giving up and she had me reach down and feel my sons head. That was enough for me, he was out just a few minutes later.

It was a great experience and if im blessed with another baby i will go natural again.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 12:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Oh yea, if there isnt a tub available Ihighly suggest getting on your hands and knees in the bed if they will let you. It really takes the pressure of the baby off, especially if you are having back labor. It really helps.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 12:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If you want a hospital birth (I'm assuming since you said no home birth and didn't mention a birthing center) I HIGHLY suggest making sure they don't limit your mobility and BE SURE. I took the birthing classes combined with the hospital tour and the instructor made it sound great. She said we could walk, use the tub, have a ball, try any position we wanted, not need IVs or constant monitoring, and all that jazz. Then when I got there, they told me I had to stay on my back in bed the entire time. I was very hurt and felt extreme betrayal.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT! Have a doula or a midwife or someone else educated and passionate about natural birth to advocate for you. DO NOT trust an OB to keep your wishes in mind. Also, do not rely on your DH to do this because the first time the dr. Threatens that you're in "danger" DH may get freaked out and fall for it. Also, stay mobile! I had to lay in bed on monitors for 20 min. Til my MW got to the hospital and let me tell you, those were the most awful 20 min of my life! I preferred being in the shower or tub. I got into the tub at 5 cm and came out pushing 40 min later! It relaxed me so much that I dialated 5 cm in less than an hr!! Any more questions, please free to PM me.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• the birthing tub i went from 6 to complete in 30 mins! Also the yoga ball helped before I got in the tub. I used a birth center
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 1:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I am in complete agreement with ma2b08 about the shower!  I wouldn't recommend getting into a tub because I had my daughter in one and it WAS NOT all that great.  I needed the water HOTTER, lol.  The shower took away ALL of my pain!  As soon as my contractions started hurting, I jumped into a hot shower.  I could still feel the contractions but there wasn't any pain which is always good, lol.  I'm getting ready to have my 3rd child without any pain meds!  If I didn't have the hot shower, I don't know what I would do, lol.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I surfed. Every contraction was a wave and I rode it. It was awesome. That and GIVE IN. Give in to labor. Don't fight it. If you fight it it's worse. Read Ina May Gaskin's Guide To Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery. Even with a hospital birth you should read these. They will help. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Oh, a labor doula will be helpful too!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Doula or birthing partner in addition to dh. I was induced, for medical reasons, and walking, a birthing ball, hands and knees, and a warm shower all helped immensely. The biggest help was my birthing partner though. She is an Air Force medic, and went to all my classes with me, and helped me through each contraction, ran interference with family, and kept my hubby calm:)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009