my 5month old only weights 10.4...

im a little concerned. my daughter who was born 7lbs 7oz a perfectly normal now her weight is only 10lbs 4oz and she is just a week away from 5 months. when i ask my doctor she keeps telling well your not very big. but when i was 5months i was 15lbs! shes also only 22 inches long and she was born 20 in. i feel llike shes not answering my questions. im really worried something might be wrong. she has been sick off and on. i hate how my doctor is just blowing me off. I'm having first steps come evulate her but thats not for a month. anyone have any suggestions?

kadybby

Asked by kadybby at 12:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be finding a new pediatrician. It sounds like she isn't growing properly - there is a growth curve that most babies fall on. Babies are supposed to double their birthweight by 6 months, and triple by 1 year. There are tests that can be done to figure out why she's not growing.

Good luck to you both.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• is she bf or ff?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• is she hitting all milestones or is there any developmental delay?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think I'd want a second opinion. You may be due for a new pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• shes supposed to be trying to play with her toys, she supposed to be able to hold her head up at a 90 degree angel while he arms support her. she cant do either of those. she is formula feed. she is allgeric to milk so she drinks soy.
    kadybby

Answer by kadybby at 12:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• well i ahve a friend her son is 2 yrs old and wieghs about 20 lbs. my dd was 20lbs at 6 mts(ff) and my ds was 18 lbs(bf) her son has failure to thrive. he is really small. i think is time for a second opinion
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Has she dropped off her curve? Each baby has their own curve, and most doctors only become concerned if they fall off their curve. How they are fed also makes a difference. BF babies grow at a different rate than FF babies. Then there is genetics. Is Daddy a small person as well? Has she been sick recently? There are a lot of factors to consider when you are determining if a baby is not gaining properly. Try to voice your concerns about your daughter and also how you feel you are being treated to your ped- if they know you feel as though they are not taking your concerns seriously they may explain their reasons for not running a bunch of potentially expensive and inconvenient tests.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my son weighed 10.10 pounds at birth! Get her seen by an endocrinologist and see if she has a hormonal pituitary or thyroid problem ASAP. My one daughter was born with a misplaced thyroid so these things can happen did she have her tsh or t4 ever checked? how is her energy? appetite?
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry that your doc is not listening to you. I would definitly get a second opinion. There are growth charts that you could look up on line. It does not sound like your child is on the growth chart. One more thing... did you know that you can still breastfeed her? You can relactate, and if you are concerned that she is allergic to milk, all you have to do is cut out dairy from your diet, and she will still be able to thrive on your milk. Do not give up. There are other options out there! :)

squish

Answer by squish at 12:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• they will have to draw blood to check but it is worth the peace of mind as these things can stunt her growth!
    Anonymous