I have a question about nap and bed time?

My 6 mnth old dd most days/nights does very well going down for naps and going to sleep at bed time, we do have a routine we keep in place for nap and bed. but sometimes she has such a hard time going to sleep i have to lay in bed with her until hse falls asleep and then gently move her to her bed. Is it normal for babies to go through spells where they just don't go to sleep as well as they usually do? I can't seem to form my question (lack of sleep, lol) but my question basically is .. do you other moms out there notice that your kids go through times where they go to sleep well and other times like, a couple days/nights in a row when they dont?

All4OneN1forAll

Asked by All4OneN1forAll at 12:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes! Mine is 2 years old and still had periodic bouts of sleep issues. It can be due to many things. Your baby may be a little under the weather, teething, having a growth spurt, about to hit a big milestone, needing a shorter nap, or the house may be warmer or cooler, or noisier or quieter. You may never know what causes it every time, but usually it is just a phase or a bad day. They are changing so fast at this age that it really could be just about anything.
    Anonymous

• Yes- my daughter until around six months went to bed around ten. Then somehow she got off her schedule and didn't sleep until one or two am. Naturally, after two weeks of trying to get her back on her routine, we took her to the ped for advice. He said to just be consistent in putting her down at the same time every night. Some days she naps twice, others once. It depends on how well she slept the night before and when she got up in the morning.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Your baby is only 6 months old. She wants to sleep with you. It's what human babies are supposed to do. Today as always in most cultures mothers sleep with their babies tucked next to them.

Most mammal babies are born able to walk. Human babies can't gestate in the womb that long because the head would be too big to fit. We would have to be pregnant 18 or more months! Since human babies are born 'too early' they are hard wired to have a symbiotic relationship with their mother. Breastfeeding, the hormones involved with breastfeeding, and pheromones all support the relationship.

It's only been a blip in time that human have expected babies to sleep alone and we have lived in safe enough conditions that they can sleep alone. Babies are still hard wired for that symbiotic relationship. It's hard to change hard wired behavior.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Gailll,
    I agree with you 100 percent, only until recently I started putting her in her own bed because she has been rolling a lot and I was concerned for her safety :) and she took to her own bed just fine, just recently she has been having a few days in row each week that have just been hell-ish..
    thanks all for your replies now I don't feel like something is "wrong". thank you!
    All4OneN1forAll

Answer by All4OneN1forAll at 4:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009