Do you believe there is a 'wrong' way to pray?

My neighbor is dealing with a 3 yr old with a potentially fatal heart disease. Her sister told her that if she prayed the 'right' way, God would fix her child. It annoys me to no end, what the sister said. She said that when her husband left her (kicked her out and their kid, moved in the high school cheerleader), she prayed the right way and he came back to her. I do not believe there is a wrong way to pray. Do you? If so, why?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no right or wrong way. It's what's in your heart. Also remember that sometimes no answer is an answer. It could be that now is not the time, or it's not what you need right now. Many times we don't understand until years later.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• hmmmmm i'm not sure what the sister is talking about. but i do believe that God sent his final revelation in the Quran and through his final prophet and taught us how to pray. but he also told us that we can supplicate to him and talk to him and ask him for what we need.. so in that way ... we are open to speak to god and ask for what we need in a matter that we like.

What she means im not sure.. perhaps she thinks prayer or supplication can only be done through specific rituals or like some people who say in the name of "insert whatever here". Some people think prayer is only good outside...others think prayer is not good at all.

without detail.. i don't think anyone can really answer this
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• There is no wrong way to pray. Your neighbor is looking to God for guidance and help.

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. Perhaps it is Gods plan...

Anonymous

• I dont think of prayer as a way to ask a genie in a bottle to follow your orders and make everything peachy keen. I think of prayer as self-medicating. if you think positive: "lord help me through this", really you are telling yourself that! staying in that mindset can help you stay positive and therefore react and act positive towards the situation. some things are just...out of your hands though. praying for a disease to go away wont make it go away. but praying for you and the sick person to have strength can have positive results and bring you closer
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The only "wrong" way would be if you aren't praying from the heart. If you don't really mean what you are saying, then it's in vain. It doesn't matter, IMO, what the exact words are or if they are unique or have been said a thousand times before, if it's from the heart God knows that and He will answer you.
    Anonymous

• Anon12:44..you touched on a very important point.. sincerity and intent. Islam so stresses these two thing in all actions but specifically in praying and making supplication..Without it, they may not get answered.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I also have a child with a life threatening disease, he was expected to die when he was an infant (he's 20 now). I think what the sister told your friend was extremely cruel. Sometimes the answer we get isn't the answer we want. She's going to need a lot of support and it's unfortunate that she isn't going to get it from her sister.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The idea that if you pray the "right" way you get what you want and if you pray the "wrong" way you don't sounds very superstitous to me. God is all-knowing, praying isn't about trying to change His mind or getting God to do our will instead of His will. Prayer is a conversation so the act of praying is an implict recognition of the presence of God which draws us closer to him. That's why prayer should be part of our lives.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i dont think there is a wrong way to pray, but i do believe their are wrong things to pray for (sports cars, become a millionaire) and wrong things to expect from prayer. prayer is not a genie granting a wish or Santa bringing you gifts. you ask God to help you, not demand it or tell God the way things are going to be.

her sister is only hurting her by saying things like that....not much of a sister.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Prayers can be blocked for various reasons and prayer has to be in accordance to God's Word. That's the only "right" way I can think of. I used to get frustrated when praying trying to remember it all, quoting scripture and making sure I asked for forgiveness first so I could "boldly go to the throne room of Grace" and petition God to hear my prayers then asking it all in Jesus name and adding the Amen to assure "it is done". Some days I just ask for others to pray for me in case I'm screwing up & forget something!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009