I have to get this off my chest, I feel like a horrible mommy

I went to put the baby in her crib for a nap, and my 3 year old followed us up there so I told her she could take a nap now too, since it was about that time anyway. I told her to go lay down and I'd be right there after I put sissy in bed. I did that then went in her room, she was sitting in her bed in a huge pile of piss. I was so angry, this is not the first time she's done this and the toilet is just outside of her bedroom, she's been fully potty trained for almost a year. I spanked her, which I never do, and since her panties were wet it left 2 of my fingerprints on her bottom. I cleaned everything and put her in nice, clean clothes and bed but I feel horrible for what I've done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Woah, some people on here are just crazy! You are not a bad mom because you spanked your child. We are only human, we all make mistakes and learn from them. Your daughter was probably just looking for attention from you whether it be positive or negative it is still attention. I went through this with my oldest daughter. She has been potty trained for almost a year as well and we just had a baby, she regressed a little bit and would pee on the floor right next to the toilet just for the attention. I myself reacted wrongfully the 3rd time she did this and spanked her as well. I apologized to her for this because I was out of line. But like I said we are human. Not a single soul on this website is perfect by any means. I know people will bash me, but I am okay with that! I know that you feel horrible but just apologize to her and move on from this! Just remember we all have different ways of parenting. We all make mistakes! GL~
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The truth is she may be doing that for attention. Spanking her was no way to handle the situation though. You should try to talk to her about it. 3 year olds are a lot more perceptive than you would think.
    Anonymous

• You should apologize to her.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If it only happens once then you have learned from it and you are a good mom. Each of my kids have been spanked or hit once or twice. They remember it and they remember they deserved it. They actually think it was great they were only hit once or twice. I think 'never' would have been too perfect.

I was raised in a hitting culture and I was hit a lot. It was a reflex I had to always fight to control. I had to read books, take classes, go to conferences, be part of La Leche League, and be around good mothers to be one myself. It's hard!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Lighten up Mama most of us have overreacted to these linds of things! I used to give my son very cool shower if he messed and that is probably too harsh too but it worked! That is normal mama stuff and you did really nothing wrong she may be lazy try putting her on the pot more often and right when she wakes up! keep smiling and discipline is not bad it is good in moderation!
    Anonymous

• We are raising children to act right not making best friends, you deserve a long nap and a footrub where is dad?Proverbs 1-4 Just give her a hug today and she will hardly remember it, spankings is not abuse even a fingerprint,lol it is just like smacking a smartmouthed older brat yes their face is red for a rew seconds does it kill them?NO! I spank and my kids act better after they get punished they know they deserve it! If she cannot help it restrain yourself and get dad next time sweetie-God Bless!
    Anonymous

• You should feel like a horrible mom since that's how you acted.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

Wow, your talking about believing in god and think it's ok to spank your kids? That's hypocritical.

SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• spare the rod spoil the child
    read about God's laws in Leviticus. He is a God of order and no this does not apply to us anymore since we now live under grace, he already paid the price as our sacrificial lamb for all our sins to those who believe!
    4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 1:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• spare the rod spoil the child does work we must make our kids accountable somehow, and better a spanking than a thief!
    4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 1:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009