Exchange Student From Australia

Has anyone had an exchange student? What was your experience? I am getting one on Nov 18 she is a Jr or Sr in High School. Excited but nervous. Thoughts Ladies?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 12:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We hosted 3 different exchange students. One from Mexico and two from Thailand. "our girls" from Thailand are still in regular touch with us. They are both almost 30 with husbands and families. One has moved to the US. Because yours already speaks english all you will have to learn is the different slang terms. Of course you will be dealing with a student from an opposite hemisprere so there might be some adjustment there. Our biggest challenge were all in the first three months because of the language barrier. The girls from Thailand were far less mature than American 17 yr olds. I really don't see that as an issue with one from Australia. We enjoyed the experience very much. My boys are grown and they still talk about their "Thai sisters"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• When I was a teen, our family hosted an exchange student from Italy. It was pretty cool, but then again, we were used to having half a dozen foster kids in the house too, so it was like that, but with better food. :)
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2009