Need some carseat help with a Graco Snugride?

Just when you think you have car seats all figured out, a situation pops up to remind you how clueless you are. I'm traveling with my daughter and taking our snugride and stroller. I know you can install it without the base. I've even done it a couple of times when we took a cab to and from the airport.

This time I'll be leaving the carseat in a rental car all weekend, and I'm wondering (please don't bash if this is a stupid question, I've never had to do it this way before) do I have to unhook the seatbelt that holds the seat in everytime I put her in and take her out?

I'm at the office, so I don't have the seat with me, and I can't picture sliding her legs under the belt, so some advice would be helpful.

lvpenguino

Asked by lvpenguino at 1:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you can slide her into it, do it. If you're not taking the seat with you, it's better to not keep taking it in and out.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My recommendation, would be to just take the base with you if its going to be in the car that much.
    we used to have one for my mom's car that just strapped in without the base, but it didn't seem as sturdy.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The belt should not be crossing over her legs at any point. It installs "through" the car seat and should not touch the child anywhere.

The only "belt" that should touch the child is the five-point harness.

So no, you don't have to unhook the belt every time you take your child out. Install it once, lean all your weight into the seat to depress it into the seat of the car, and make sure that it is level using the level indicator on the side. Then once that's done you just put your child in, fasten the 5 point harness and make sure it's snug. when you take your child out, unfasten the harness and take her out of the car, leaving the car seat in the car.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2009