How do you deal with going back to work?

I have been off work (only volunteering very part time for a dog rescue) for the first six and a half months of my baby's life. Although I am really excited to be getting out of the house and start contributing again financially to our family, I am feeling so much anxiety about being away from my baby. I am breastfeeding and have difficulty pumping. (I plan to continue breastfeeding until my baby is at least a year). I will be working five hours a day max not including drive time which adds another hour + to the day. I feel like I am going to miss out on so much of her developement or those little milestone moments. I worry she is going to feel like I have abandoned her and she is going to wonder why mommy is gone. Is there anyone who has felt this way? How do you deal? I totally admire those moms who have to work full time and then some. How do you do it? Am I being ridiculous feeling this way? HELP!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 1:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Your not being ridiculous your just being a mom. I work full time and I also felt bad when I had to go back to work. I try to just spend as much time with her after work and on the weekend as I can. She is not going to think you abandned her. Don't worry she will be fine. Wish you the best of luck.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I felt the EXACT same way you do! I also had my son at home with me until he was 6 and a half months old. I won't lie to you, the transition will be very difficult, but it will be harder on you than it is on your child. (-: I cried for the entire first week and a half when I dropped my little guy off at daycare; however, it gets easier over time. I worried about the same things.....he'll forget I'm his mommy, I'll miss the milestones, but none of that happened. My son is now 3 years old, and I still hate dropping him off in the mornings, but he has learned SO much by being with others his age! You will make it through this, and it will get easier with time. Good luck!
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 1:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Your child will need you much more between the ages of 12 and 18, than she does now. I worked full time and breastfed until my daughter weaned herself at 23 months. The CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group has lots of great tips for job hunting: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 1:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Wow.... I apologize for having emotions and feelings. Sorry I love my child and don't like the idea of leaving her. and sorry for wanting to communicate with others who can relate to me..... which as I see, you aren't one of those so perhaps you should answer a question that pertains to you. And I do have a job, and have always loved having a job, and who lost my job because I was pregnant .... (i was a firefighter)....I never though she was going to keel over and die either.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 1:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Perhaps my question put my work situation incorrectly.... I used to work full time as a firefighter... I have always worked until I found out I was pregnant and was unable to work as a firefighter. During the past six and a half months of my childs life, I worked only partime volunteering for a dog rescue. Don't know why I feel I have to explain myself but I guess I did. Just got sensitive when someone jumps on me, tells me to "get a job" when I spent many a day putting my life on the line to save people's homes and property.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 1:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I'm sorry for the comments that some people put. I am a WAHM so I don't know what it's like to leave to my children. I think it's perfectly natural to feel that way especially after being home with her for so long. Wow... that's awesome that you were a firefighter. I have a 7 month old daughter. I know how you feel about pumping. I don't get enough milk out when I pump either. Hang in there Momma! Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It isn't easy at all. But it gets easier.
    Don't let the flippin Anon's get to ya.
    Its awesome that you were able to stay with her for six and a half months, I had to go back to work after 6 weeks.
    I am lucky though, she stays with my mom and grandparents when I go to work. So it helps a little.
    I wasn't able to breastfeed, so that is admirable too.
    Good luck in the job search.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I guess I dont understand why you would post a dumb question like this. Working is a way of life. I dont see why you would be concerned about your 6 month old missing you. He/she isnt even old enough to realize it yet.
    Anonymous

• Well I guess I am dumb then .... I am a first time mom! I don't know if my child is old enough to realize she would or wouldn't miss me. Its all new to me and I don't have a degree in infant and child psychology. And I guess it makes you dumb for wasting your time reading and responding to a dumb question.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 3:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i'll pm you a link to how i and a lot of mothers on this site deal with it :) hope to see you there soon!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009