Seizures in an 18 month old???

The other day I noticed my son reaching out for food and his hand shook pretty badly. I made an appointment to see the doctor and then the morning of the appointment it happened again. Both times he was hungry so I thought that it may be a blood sugar thing. Then, when I was telling our Doc she said that she would give him a referral to the neurological unit at our children’s hospital. I am very upset. We have to wait up to a week for the referral to come in (dam HMO) and then we will have test done and who knows how long the results will take getting back. Also it happened again last night in his sleep I noticed him have a hand tremor. I was wondering if this sounds failure to anyone or if anyone has had any kind of experiences with seizures in a child this young. I appreciate all input very much!!!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my second son was about 15 months old, we had just gotten home from a hot weekend of camping and he had started to get a fever along with a cold. That first night home, I had let him run around in a diaper and he still felt hot, a little while later he started crying and then convulsed on the couch, I kind of paniced for a min, but we called the ambulance and he was released with some Tylenol for his fever and we went home. I scheduled a dr. appt and the doctor said it was Febrile seizure. They are brought on by fevers. Here is a little more info about them, I hope this helps you. Seizures in children are scarey, and I wish the best for your child and you. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/detail_febrile_seizures.htm
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 3:11 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Has he had any immunizations recently?
    Anonymous

• No and also we are doing the slow method Dr. Sears.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 2:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You should ask you doctor if it might be hypoglycemia. Which is a form of diabetes but instead of needing insulin you need sugar. Since it usually happens around when he needs to eat. You should look into it.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Cut and paste that link I posted, somehow it didn't become clickable.
    loveme2