Seizures in an 18 month old???

The other day I noticed my son reaching out for food and his hand shook pretty badly. I made an appointment to see the doctor and then the morning of the appointment it happened again. Both times he was hungry so I thought that it may be a blood sugar thing. Then, when I was telling our Doc she said that she would give him a referral to the neurological unit at our children’s hospital. I am very upset. We have to wait up to a week for the referral to come in (dam HMO) and then we will have test done and who knows how long the results will take getting back. Also it happened again last night in his sleep I noticed him have a hand tremor. I was wondering if this sounds failure to anyone or if anyone has had any kind of experiences with seizures in a child this young. I appreciate all input very much!!!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son started having seizures at 15mos. They were not like the ones you are describing, but there are SO many different types of seizures.... The only way to know will be to have an EEG, and if there is something serious, you will get the results very quickly! We were told we would get our first EEG results in 2-3 weeks, but instead we got a call the next morning and orders to check into the hospital that day! MOST seizure disorders are NOT severe, or damaging, and are easily controlled with meds!! We just got lucky, (sarcasm). The other possibility is a movement disorder, tick, muscle weakness, etc... So don't panic yet, but take him to the ER if it starts happening more! insist on seeing a neurologist before you go home, and I'm sure they will get an EEG done quickly for you. SORRY you are going through this. I know it's scary! *hugs*
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Has your son recently had an MMR booster shot? This is a common reaction to the MMR shot and boosters.
    ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing... seizures are common reactions in a lot of vaccines. Just look through the package inserts, and keep in mind that the CDC states only 10% of vaccine reactions are ever reported.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• seizure can happen to babies of any age but here's my other question did the dr. check out your blood sugar idea at all???
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• P.S . If you see it continue to happen do NOT keep waiting for your HMO, the dr. should be able to put a referal right away, it should not take a week and you CAN light a fire under everyone's butt.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My suggestion is the next time your little one does this, go to the Childrens ER! They will run tests right there. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• The neuro would most likely do an eeg to watch the brain activity, my son has had it done before due to regular testing because he has CP
    Stephanie2107

Answer by Stephanie2107 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2009