son falling out of crib

so this morning i put my son down for his usual morning nap, sometimes he screams for like 10 mins or less and sometimes he doesnt. well i put him in there and he screamed for like5 mins and then i hear a "clunk" and then he did his crying when he hurts himself or something so i rush in there and he has fallen out of his crib and landed on his back. I take precaution just incase he hurt his back or neck(we have hardwood floors eventho i have a rug down). i picked him up and after like 5 mins he was fine and just laying his head down on me. his mattress is all the way as far as it can go and doesnt have bumpers or anything in his crib at all to climb on. I think he actually must have done it himself. i have one of those convertible cribs that turn into toddler then a full sized bed. I am wondering if I should make it the toddler bed now, he is almost 14 months and seems like he is climbing more,is it too soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i had one of those cribs too when u do make it into a toddler bed it still sits up awfuly high. i bought my little one a toddler bed and when she wakes up from her naps she comes out to the living room where were at,its nice,she feels like a big girl
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Nope. When my kids climbed out the first time it became an everytime habit. So the crib went away right after that. It changes everything because now they can get up, and out..and into things. My youngest son scared the bejeepers out of me. He never climbed over the side rail. He called over the end which was like 9 inches higher. I was afraid he would fall and seriously hurt himself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• well, its not too soon if he just climbed out of the crib. They do make crib tents but I have heard tons of CM-er's that have put thier little ones in toddler or twin beds at this age, but I know my son wouldn't have understood at 14 months what it meant to lay down for bedtime at 14 months - although some kids DO. Good luck!! my son is 23 months and yet to try to climb SO GLAD
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I'd have that child at the hospital so fast for xrays it would make someone's head swim. You have no idea how much internal damage could be done to him. I've never heard of a baby bed where a child can just fall out of it. Even as a toddler bed it should have safety bars on the side so he wouldn't fall out on to hard floors.
    Anonymous

• *should say Climbed..Long day already..lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My dd wasnt much older when i switched her into her toddler bed. Simply because she wouldnt sleep in it. Rather put him in a bed then have him fall that far down. You might have more trouble getting him to stay in bed but i would definatley switch before he does hurt himself :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012845

thats the crib he has so i think he used his bare feet and climb up over it

Anonymous

• Switch to toddlerbed mode. Sounds like he's ready. He's figured out he can get out. It's only a matter of time till he figures out how to do it without falling.
    Anonymous

• Get him a toddler bed with mattress guards in case he rolls over while sleeping. MY daughter could walk and sit at the top of her crib at 9 months so we knew it was time to switch her to a toddler bed. She was already a self soother and it only took one or two days to get her to sleep in the bed without anyone there. A friend of ours' son fell out of his crib and ended up with compression fractures in his leg so we didnt want to mess around.
    Anonymous

• Gosh, I am TRYING to keep my just-turned-two year old in his crib as long as I can. At 14 months, I have heard you can certainly convert to the toddler bed. I just know that would NOT have worked in our house. My son would be getting in and out of bed all night long. I would get a crib tent over the toddler bed, but that is just me and I know my son. If you think your child is ready, then go for it!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2009