Activities for developmentally disabled adults?

I just took a job where I am responsible for 2 adults during the day. I am supposed to plan things for them. My 18 month old stays with me too so nothing he can't be involved with. Any ideas as to what I can do or where I can find things in my area?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I teach fitness at senior centers, including chair exercise. In addition to the seniors, I've also had challenged people in the classes. It works out well for the challenged people, because they feel a part of a group, and they can follow what the others are doing, to the best of their ability. We do active routines using plates, we also use exercise bands, general stretches and coordination exercises, mobility, balance- quite a few for those who can stand- we can hold on to the chairs and do leg swings, lifts, stretches, and so forth.

Also, it might benefit you to attend some of the senior chair classes so you can learn what can be done in a chair situation so you can lead exercises on your own. You can also include walking in your schedule. Tour local gardens. Walk around the mall.

Answer by Bmat at 2:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• the YMCA you join and bring them as guests?
    library
    movies
    mall
    drive through parks
    mcdonalds
    dollar store
    church

4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 2:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009