should i get my 10 month old a seasonal flu shot? whays your opinion on flu shots?

my doc recomended it at his 9mt visit, but ive never had a flu shot and dont know much about it. has anyones baby ever had bad sideeffects from the flu shot? im usually very against any meds, so im puzzled because ive heard its bad on babies. whats your story on flu shots with babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never heard of a flu shot being bad on a baby. The flu is though.
    Anonymous

• I think that they are good but some places might not give it to them bc of their age...just talk to your doc about it
    Anonymous

• He just has to be over six months old to get it. He is well old enough to have a flu shot.
    Anonymous

• We skipped flu, chicken pox, a couple of others.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• nope, i wouldn't give it to him, but that's my opinion. i refuse to give my kids that shot, and i don't get it either. my dh has to get it, army says so, and he got it the other day and has been feeling terrible ever since. a gf of mine gave it to her son when he was a baby and he ended up in the hospital with the flu, and then somehow it turned into the measles...don't ask me how, she has no idea either. poor kid went through alot.
    Anonymous

• DS has always gotten it (he was 9 mo the first time). and no ill effects except a low grade fever the night after he got it. A little bit of Tylenol and he was fine. (and has not had the flu till this year when it went around early). The big think is MAKE SURE they are not coming down with anything the previous two days before you get it. All of the people I know who's kids got sick with it didn't want to reschedule the shot, even thought their kids were snuffly, cranky, or showing signs of getting sick. I always make sure and have rescheduled at least one shot because of it (the day of no less and they were just happy I was thinking about it)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If they attend daycare or you have children in school, get the shot. Better safe than sorry.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't. I've never had a flu shot and I've never gotten the flu. Most people I know get the flu right after they've gotten the flu shot. A flu shot is just the FDA's best guess at what flu's are going to come around this season.....and last year they had it completely wrong. But it's what you feel would be best for your child.
    AshlyNicole07

Answer by AshlyNicole07 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Nope. Not necessary.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• We get them for everyone in the house. We have four asthmatics.
    Anonymous