Got a flu shot yesterday at 3pm...12 hours later I woke up with a headache and have been vomiting since. Coincidence?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Health

• Flu shot - not a live virus. Cannot catch the flu from it.

Flu mist - live virus. Can get sick or spread it to others.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• THIS is why i don't get the shot, or let my kids give it, i don't care what the docs say, the shot gives you the flu! everyone i know that gets it gets sick, not a live virus my butt. my dh just got his the other day and has been feeling terrible ever since. (he has to get it, army says so)
    Anonymous

• Probably not

Answer by rkoloms at 2:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The shot CAN give you the flu.... so it wouldn't surprise me any if that's what you have. Just watch your symptoms.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• But it should be milder than getting it on my own right?
    Anonymous

• if you have even the slightest sniffle the flu shot can turn it into the flu. it is normal for many to have this reaction if your temp stays high or goes over 102 for over a few hrs go to the hospital.
    drink lots of fluids. clear liquids are best
    SaphiraJFire

Answer by SaphiraJFire at 2:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• *sigh* The flu shot does not give the flu.

You probably already had something or picked up a cold where you got the shot.
    Anonymous

• I usually get it in September before the flu shots are even available so maybe I just already had it and didn't really notice until this morning...
    Anonymous

• I stopped getting the flu shot 10 years ago b/c I always got the flu when I did. I would end up with the other strain than what was in the shot. Ever since then, I have not gotten the flu.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• One has nothing to do with the other. The flu shot is for influenza...not the stomach bug. The shot canNOT give you the flu and you wouldn't be sick that quickly anyway.

The flu shot doesn't kick in for about 10 days so you were already exposed to something for which the flu shot doesn't offer protection anyway.

This is common knowledge, but for some reason some refuse to accept it.
    Anonymous