The dentist....how does this go?

IM taking my son to the dentist for the first time next week. He is four years old. I wasn't aware that kids went to the dentist till they were like 7-8. Its new to me, I found out that you're supposed to take your kids when they get their first tooth. Well where the hell was I at?? My daughter is turning 3 in Feb and I have made her an appointment too.
I dont remember being at a dentist till like age 6 or something. Im sure most of you mothers have alread taken your sons to the dentist, what should i expect?

Do they just clean the teeth? How do they get the childern to stay still? So im taking my two and four year old to the dentist and i just have nightmare- ish visions on how thats gonna go. I really want a smooth visit but im not sure how that is possiabe.

I already explained to Andrew what a dentist is and what they usually do. I asked the lady on the phone and all she said is " Well See"

MommyTurtle1985

Asked by MommyTurtle1985 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They should have a small mirror to show your child the teeth .Also how brushing their teeth will make the tooth fairy so happy and that they should give them some free samples at the beginning to make your child more comfortable. Then they exam the teeth very carefully with an assistant of course and if they spot a cavity they will x-ray it. Then they will consult and decide whether to fill it or not and then they will use sleepy juice to extract it. But this is done in a very gentle manner. But the extractions will usually take place at another visit so the child will not get scared. They asked me to stay for the first filling.I held his hand. GL and hope this helps.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My daughter's first appointment was at two. They counted her teeth, looked at her mouth, etc. Her first cleaning was at her second visit. A seven year old will have a cleaning and x-rays.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I just took DS a month ago for his first visit at 3.5 so don't feel bad. They counted his teeth and the doctor looked at them. They also brushed his teeth really well. Then they let him pick a toy and gave him two new toothbrushes one to play with and one to use. They said next visit they may try to clean them, but if it doesn't happen, its not the end of the world (really depends on how the kid reacts). I had heard a whole bunch of bad things about this dentist and they were nice, and very child oriented so I don't know where the horror storys came from.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My DD had her first dentist appt last month. She'll be 3 in Dec. They had me hold her facing me with her legs around my waist and lay back so her head was on the dentists lap. All she did was look at her teeth and run a tooth brush over her teeth and gums to make sure she didnt have anything wrong. We go back in 5months for her first cleaning.
    Kam06

Answer by Kam06 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My son had his first appointment just before he turned 4, actually the day before his birthday. They just checked his teeth with a poking thing and a mirror then gave him a clean and applied fluoride. He got to wear shades while they had the light on and also got to choose his toothpaste and fluoride flavors. After he was done he got a bag with a toothbrush, a kiddy flosser, and other dental goodies plus he got to pick a little toy on the way out too. Oh, and a sticker saying he'd just had fluoride and couldn't eat for half an hour.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your answers, I greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• most of the dentists I called around my area kept telling me they wouldnt see children until they were atleast 4,but my son ended up being seen by the "mobile dentist" at preschool this week,and he just turned 3 a couple of weeks ago...They just looked at his teeth&gums,counted the teeth,and brushed them-then gave him a new toothbrush and toothpaste and he was done! I think being seen at school made it alot easier on him-I have a feeling if I would have tried taking him to a regular dentist office that he would have fought it lol
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I took my DS to his first dental appointment in May. We went specifically to a pediatric dentist, as he's only 3 1/2 years old. The examining room is awesome, they have a flat table for the child to lay on, and in the ceiling there's a TV with a DVD player installed, so your child can watch their fave movie while getting their teeth checked! (Kalan HATES flat tables though, so the dentist and I sat knee to knee and Kalan was placed on our laps LOL.)

Anyways, they checked his spacing, looked for any plaque and cavities, will do xrays if need be (which wasn't an issue for us) and answered all my questions. In my case I had to ask about DS' finger sucking habit, and was relieved to find out there was no damage done :)

After it was over, Kalan got to pick a toy out of the toy chest and they gave him a toddler dental kit, with a new toothbrush and flouride free toothpaste. We go back in February for our 9 month checkup :)
    MummaDee2006

Answer by MummaDee2006 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It will be fine. Make sure they do kids, or even specialize. It more fun for them, TVs, stickers, toys, sugar free lollipops and toothbrush. You get to go back and they can sit on your lap if needed. my ds went at 2 when he had a spot on his tooth, and now that hes 5 he goes back without me, its so sad for me. Anyways, they look and clean, show them how to brush. no big deal, they might even like it! Good Luck
    sarahq635

Answer by sarahq635 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 11, 2009