Uhm....i just read a question and it brought one up to me..?

When the HECK are we supposed to take kids to the detist? I mean my parents didnt even start BRUSHING my teeth until i had all my teeth in. Much less take us to the dentist! My daughter is two today actually, and she's got like half of her teeth. Mind you i do brush them myself with her own little tooth brush and toothpaste but am i SUPPOSED to take her at this age?

collegemom1007

Asked by collegemom1007 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when you find out let me know i have a 10 month old who has 2 1/2 teeth (his top front two are trying to come in lol) and i was actually just wondering this myself today....
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• lol
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Normally you should start bringing them in to the dentist, when they are 3 years old. Brushing their teeth, as soon as the first one is cut trough.
    Anonymous

• check with your insurance, some start at 1, some don't start till 3. if you have insurance that covers early, you need to call dentists in your area and see when they start seeing them. like our insurance starts at 1, but the dentist i go to won't start seeing kids till 3. i could find another one and bring him there, but i just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had her first appt right before she turned three. She loves going and having her teeth "counted" and cleaned. And she loves loves loves the flouride treatment because she gets to pick out whatever flavor she wants!
    Anonymous

• I have been told that you are supposed to take them when the first tooth shows up, but I didn't take DS till he was three and could understand what was going on. I know my parents didn't take me till I was about three and I already had cavities and needed a root canal. My son had fluoride varnishes done at the County health department with his shots. They said DS's teeth looked fine and to see him again in 6 months. They didn't say anything about waiting till too late so I am guessing thats about the normal age of a child going for the first time.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Most drs say between 1-3. I took mine at 2
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 3:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I took my boys when they were about 2 yrs. old. I think any earlier than that is too young, but that is just my oppinion.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Well my daughter is just now 2. And i know for a fact she wont be agreeable with a dentist. How do they get them to sit still?
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Our pedi says 3...our dentist recommended age two. We will probably stick with three, unless we see a need to take him sooner. I think he would be afraid and wiggle the whole time to get out of the chair. Why bother just for the dentist to LOOK at his mouth. They dont really "clean" too much until the age of three. Our dentist said they just want to make sure all the teeth are coming in properly.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2009