What do I do when my daughter is having trouble with math homework everyday?

school work......tutors are so expensive....

lizfarias

Asked by lizfarias at 3:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ask her teacher what she is having trouble with the most and if she has worksheets that can be sent home for her to work on. Try www.math.com
    You can even ask a middle school or high school student that is good in math to tutor her. Kids in National Honor Society have to do community outreach and tutoring counts. Contact the high school and check into it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Can your daughter get moved to a class that works at a slower pace? Is peer tutoring available at the school? What has the math teacher suggested? Have you tried any websites, like Dr. Math http://mathforum.org/dr.math/dr-math.html ?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Are you not able to help her? Is there a family member thats good at math that could help her? My 12 year old HATES math and has a hard time understanding alot of it, especially now that he's into the algebra stuff. Luckily, Im good at math, though Ive had to read his book some to refresh my memory and some nights we're at it till bedtime trying to get him to understand!
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 6:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Most schools offer some kind of after school tutoring. Some teachers are even willing to help her after school. I know at the school I work with, there is always help available before or after school. Just call up and ask. I know her pain, I struggled with math all my schooling. I just do not get it. Tell her to hang in there and hopefully something will click and she will start to understand it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Here in Indiana you can call or go to Rose-Hullman website for help. It has been awhile but I think the phone no. is 800-ASK-ROSE. The students there will get your student through the math on up to high school calculus. And yes we tried to help our daughter, but according to her we lost all brain cells the minute she entered Jr. High,LOL, we have regained them now that she is in college. I am not sure if other states can use this but check state education sites.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• There is a phone number for help for kids who need it for homework. I'ts called" Homework hotline". they will answer the phone and help you if needed. there is also a few sites online for help. education.com is one and you might be able to do a google search for more. good luck.

Bizmom

Answer by Bizmom at 2:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I would talk to her teacher about it and find out what he/she thinks....first of all.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Talk to her teacher about peer tutoring during quiet study times. Our district offers this and it is very effective. Then also ask about after or before tutoring clubs. With the NCLB act many schools are scrambling to meet AYP standards and often times they offer before or after school study clubs/tutoring for free.
    karmalove

Answer by karmalove at 10:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• There are so many great websites to help and they are fun as well. Just google them. Let her have kids from her class over to study and help her. Talk with her teacher. Some schools have free math labs.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• see if you can find a tutor that will take trade, or a teacher who you can help grade papers for if she tutors, or a college student who may need some pocket cash.
    Anonymous