Are there any differences between parents who have children with disabilities and parents who don't?

I'm talking about parental skills, advocating skills, economic status, emotional state, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• As the parent of a special needs child, I find that I am less judgemental of other parents when I am out in public & their child is misbehaving badly b/c I know that there may be more going on than meets the eye. Judgement of others without really knowing the whole story is something I have seen going on quite a bit on here and it saddens me; we should be trying to lift each other up, not put each other down.

Completely agree with this...Ive been both, my older 2 do not have specials needs, my younger 3 do...I would say my major difference is being more accepting of other parents knwoing that quite often theres more than meets the eye in certain situations. I would also say that Ive learned from my special needs children is to be more appreciative of the small accomplishments and that you learn just how strong a person you can be when you need to.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 6:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I dont think there is a difference. Its hard raising any child. Everyones parenting skills are different everyone dosnt have the same amount of money everything is different for every family so there is no real way to answer this question.
    Anonymous

• Well as a mom of a 'special needs' child this is my opinion:
    I raising ANY child has its ups and downs, and each parent has his/her own parenting style and way of doing things. I really don't think 'special needs' vs 'normal' child/ren has anything to do with it.
    Anonymous

As far as the other things you were talking about, parental skills, advocating, economic status, emotional state, etc.....Well, those things vary by individual & having a special needs child is just another variable in the pot of life - some people are better at them than others, simple as that.
    Anonymous