What kind of consequence would you use?

What kind of consequence would you give if your pre-teen took off on foot and you told them there would be a consequence and they walked off anyway in defiance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would ban mobile phone usage for a day/two days. Or internet usage. Whatever your teen communicates more on if so. If your teen is more of a TV person then TV.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 3:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think that everyone needs to have some space when they are upset so I wouldn't make this an issue, what I would make an issue is if they are running away. I think you should teach this child that they need to verbalize when they need a minute or ten and to be respectful enough to follow through. I think it would be a good lesson in respect, both building the respect that they should have for you and beginning the respect that you will need to find for them when they are a teenager.

If that is not your style, then I agree, take away privileges.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My friend' and her husband decided that since their teen age son wouldn't listen, he wasn't old enough or responsible enough to be left alone. So, his dad took away his free time for a week. He had to go to work with his dad, sit in his office until his dad took him to school and walked him to his locker, just in time to go to first class. He met him for lunch every day since that age had an open lunch at school. And then his mom picked him up from school and took him home with her. They went absolutely everywhere with this kid. It worked, he was so sick of the whole thing after the week was up, he was willing to be more responsible.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Drag him home and Ground him for at least a week.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Pre-teen? are we talking 9 or 12? But what I would do it take away all video games and electronics. Make them research and write a report on why it was unsafe to walk off. Murder, rape, torture. In the report make it include, why it is important to be respectful of their parents directions. Then give them kitchen duty for a month. I would and have done this type of punishment and honestly can say my kids HATE it, and learn from it.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• She's 11
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2009